Skip to main content

Doug At Sixteen

I found a stack of old letters today from my teen years when I would always spend summers in the country with Granny and Grandpa (and then just Granny after Grandpa died.) I've been reading them for awhile now, I'm so glad I kept them! Grabbed one at random here, from the summer of 1979.

Feel free to click the back button now, I will understand. No hard feelings. This one is mostly only for me anyway, just reminiscing.

Sunday night, July 8, 1979
Dear Mom and Dad,

Well, let's see. Friday it was cool and dreary and just like Thursday. We did two loads of laundry and let most dry upstairs or in the pumphouse. Verna came in the afternoon and brought some green beans and new potatoes from their garden. She stayed a total of THREE hours. Jake was fishing at the pond on Barney's because he said he would like to fish there without Barney bothering him. Ha. Barney and Anne were gone for Anne to have the skin cancer taken from her forehead. Late evening me and Gran went up to Highpoint and got $5.00 of gas (the limit) and a few groceries. Then on to Barney and Anne's. Anne's head was all bandaged and she felt terrible. They had cut off the cancer and had to graft skin from her ear to put over the piece. We stayed awhile. When we were leaving, Barney gave me 50 cents. I tried not to take it, but ...

Saturday was the third gloomy, overcast day in a row. It was also too cool for me. Gran heated up the wood cookstove and had it going from about noon till late evening. We made a big dinner and Gran made a new cheddar cheese bread. It was GOOD! After dinner sometime I laid down and went to sleep. I had told Gran I would mow but I woke to her starting the lawnmower so I went out and mowed the yard. I took a break to eat supper and then mowed some more. Then Gran wanted to mow in the garden some so I came in AND WENT TO SLEEP!! So she ended up finishing the yard, but all there was left was east of the house. The yard was so wet and tall it would clog the mower and wouldn't cut right. Then Gran started a few dishes but Ida Delcour called so I finished up all the dishes.

Well, since Granny B seemed to be improving and feeling not so sore, Gran and I thought we would maybe go to church. But this morning her hips were real sore again and she didn't look good, so Gran said I could take the car and go by myself. So I did. I played the piano and since Jack and Pat weren't there, Velma Curtis first led the singing. Mark and I sat in the Bible class and then Velma and I went back to the piano. Well, I never liked to play that piano because I didn't feel comfortable. But on revival night I heard Jill play and add a lot so I figured I would. But Velma could hardly lead so I didn't. Then Elmer came in and took over and he just belts it out good and loud so I just played loud and added a lot in to it. I think we did great and I was glad I felt comfortable with him. I hadn't heard myself play that way for ages. We even played and sang extras.

Then this afternoon Ellis came and stayed awhile. When he got here I was eating an ice cream cone and the first thing he said was, "Make me one of those." So I did. With three kinds of ice cream. He got done and said, "Make me another, only bigger." So I did, and piled all the ice cream on it I could. He left and I took a long sleep.

Tonight Gran stayed with Granny B and I went to Bible Study and church. Jack and Pat got there late and I just played the piano like I did with Elmer, and Jack sang louder. We usually sing three songs, but Short said, "Sing another! You're doing good tonight." Then after the fourth he said, "Sing another!" So we sung five and he said, "I guess I'll let you quit, but I sure enjoyed that tonight."

Then Ellis and Mahala were there and sang a special. Then after church, Ellis and I sang a duet to "I Surrender All." He sang tenor or alto, I forgot now, and I soprano.

Well, better go. It has been a hot, partly sunny day.

Love, Doug

Comments

  1. Yeah, remember pen and paper? Something special about reading old letters. Emails and chats, not so much. I was glad to run across the stack of letters today, glad I still have them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! You are such a a GREAT writer. I was right there with you and your Gran. D-Ro, you have to write a book. It would be such a shame not to share your talent with the world. I hope you post more of your letters. I really enjoyed reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...the country life...

    I tell you, THIS big city girl IS gonna experience it someday! It's calling me LOUDER AND LOUDER!

    And I am now hungry. I want some of the chedder bread followed by THREE DIFFERENT flavored scoops.

    What a good son...to say so muc to the folks. My son? Would have "called" for money... *smile* Just kidding. He would have missed us to. :)

    I have saved a few very speacial handwritten letters, notes and cards too, and I make a point to still write some. It really is a "lost art" that "connects hearts."

    Thanks for letting us take a peek into your past Doug. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I certainly didn't expect ANY readers for that one, really, but I'm happy for it. I kept all of the letters from Mom and Dad sent to me for all those years, and I had asked Mom to keep the ones I sent them, too. I'm glad I did, I didn't realize how much they would mean to me these 30 years later or whatever, but they do. Also, something about reading actual handwriting on actual paper, makes this whole online thing seem just kinda ... I don't know, nonpersonal or something.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia outlaws microchip implants: "Just imagine having a beeper in your rectum and your beeper numbers displayed on billboards throughout the city."

Well, that bill passed, the one from Georgia "so as to prohibit requiring a person to be implanted with a microchip," Senate Bill 235 . At least it made its way through the House Judiciary Committee, anyway, next stop the House Rules Committee that decides whether it moves on to the full House vote and (fingers crossed) final passage. I'd think it probably should, taking into account the compelling testimony brought up at this last hearing, from some fat lady about why non-consensual chipping should be made against the law. There she described in detail her own personal experience, with being implanted against her druthers: "I'm also one of the people in Georgia who has a microchip," she began. ("Also one?" There's more of them there?) She went on about the specific disadvantages, how it violates one's "right to work without being tortured by co-workers who are activating these microchips by using their cell phones and other electro

I Think

I think I'm bored blogging. I think I'm done with it. I think what's the point? I think you should check out my blogroll instead. I think they say stuff better anyway.

Hung on the Cross

So what, I'm not very mature for my age. I don't care, I'm easily amused because of it, and I enjoy being amused. Like this picture of a crucifix which was hoisted a couple of months ago above the main altar at the St. Charles Borromeo Catholic church in Oklahoma: I can come up with lots of hilariously inappropriate captions here, some that even I am embarrassed to admit thinking up, despite my unabashed crudity. I would share but probably everyone else is too sophisticated to see the humor. Plus, I really don't want to go to Hell. I'm guessing that there are an awful lot of Okie parishioners down there at the church where this is hung for real, who I reckon wouldn't appreciate my sense of humor about it, either. They are, in general, hugely offended by it instead, because they see nothing funny whatsoever about displaying Jesus' ginormous penis in church, not in the least bit! Seems as though this has caused quite a "deep divide" among members o