Skip to main content

Joe's Best Buddy

One calamity after another these past couple of weeks.

Gustav killed and destroyed. Ike followed suit. I also must flip the finger at Lowell, even though he was of the Pacific tropical storm variety a-holes and didn't really kill anybody, but because each one of these three stooges hung out in my neighborhood over the last few days pissing on my own house which, in this one room where I am now, leaks like a sieve. I slosh just walking into here.

On the heels of one after the other they've come, so I've been rather irritable about all that mess. Mostly just for personal reasons.

Then there was the text messaging conductor dude who killed all those train folks, that was sad. Also, although it means shit to anyone else really, every damn day for the last many we've chalked up another murder here in my home city. Some have been like double days, I think we're setting some sort of record around here.

And then, of course, there continues the Sarah Palin disaster, too. It's just not been such good times lately, I'm annoyed.

So I enjoyed running across this story today, made me smile. My own dog is my joy and reason to live actually, thus I loved this and it certainly brought out some yellow as opposed to the assiduous latter-day grayness I've become accustomed to recently.

Man's best friend indeed! This German shepherd Buddy called 911 last Wednesday, and saved Joe Stalnaker's life when the man had a seizure. On the recording, Buddy can be heard whimpering and barking after the lady dispatcher answers and repeatedly asks what's the matter: "Hello, this is 911. Hello ... Can you hear me? Is there somebody there you can give the phone to?"

Police were dispatched and after a few minutes Buddy was heard barking loudly when the officers did finally arrive. I think it's cool.

Buddy was adopted at eight weeks' old (now eighteen months) from Paws With a Cause which trains assistance dogs, and was trained to get the phone and press programmed buttons to call 911 if dad begins spazzing. Joe sustained a head injury during some sort of military training ten years ago and apparently is prone to seizures.

The guy spent two days in the hospital and recovered. Feel-good news is always a welcomed relief from the bad. Especially when there's a hero dog in the mix, that makes me even extra happy.

Comments

  1. What a beautiful story and a beautiful dog! Great story! Thanks for posting it. I'm trying to talk my hubby into getting a puppy. I love dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always owned pets. I have a cat now. They are less trouble. But, for me, dog's make the best pets. Luckily my girlfriend has a wiener dog who is just great.

    I love dog stories like this one, and also a recent one concerning a dog that saved its choking master by jumping on her stomach and in effect performing the heimlich maneuver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GET OUT! The heimlich? Man, Doug(s) I want a hlper dog so bad...if only the could use my toilet. I want a Great Dane. Rain, you get a puppy and let me know how it goes. I grew up w/big dogs and my partner too (German Sheperd, Mastiff)...BUT I love "wiener" (that is not nice, DB.) dogs, but partner poo-poos- them...humpf! I love these pet savior stories. :-)
    (What is up in KC? Gees...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane - Seriously, my girlfriend owns a dachshund that I've become quite attached to. She is twelve years old (the dog, not my gf)now and slowing down with age, but she has reminded me of why I always loved dogs and the friendship they offer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a Rottweiler mix, and also four cats. Not a cat person, just that the one I took in long ago got out and got knocked up and couldn't get rid of all those damn kittens, so anyway, they're part of the family now too. I'm totally a dog person, cats I can live without. I like big dogs, too, always thought a Great Dane would be great! Although I did back in my earlier married years also had a dachsund, that I loved dearly. We took him from this lesbian couple I worked with who had basically stolen him from their neighbor because of abuse, and of course they couldn't keep him, evidence and all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia outlaws microchip implants: "Just imagine having a beeper in your rectum and your beeper numbers displayed on billboards throughout the city."

Well, that bill passed, the one from Georgia "so as to prohibit requiring a person to be implanted with a microchip," Senate Bill 235 . At least it made its way through the House Judiciary Committee, anyway, next stop the House Rules Committee that decides whether it moves on to the full House vote and (fingers crossed) final passage. I'd think it probably should, taking into account the compelling testimony brought up at this last hearing, from some fat lady about why non-consensual chipping should be made against the law. There she described in detail her own personal experience, with being implanted against her druthers: "I'm also one of the people in Georgia who has a microchip," she began. ("Also one?" There's more of them there?) She went on about the specific disadvantages, how it violates one's "right to work without being tortured by co-workers who are activating these microchips by using their cell phones and other electro

I Think

I think I'm bored blogging. I think I'm done with it. I think what's the point? I think you should check out my blogroll instead. I think they say stuff better anyway.

Hung on the Cross

So what, I'm not very mature for my age. I don't care, I'm easily amused because of it, and I enjoy being amused. Like this picture of a crucifix which was hoisted a couple of months ago above the main altar at the St. Charles Borromeo Catholic church in Oklahoma: I can come up with lots of hilariously inappropriate captions here, some that even I am embarrassed to admit thinking up, despite my unabashed crudity. I would share but probably everyone else is too sophisticated to see the humor. Plus, I really don't want to go to Hell. I'm guessing that there are an awful lot of Okie parishioners down there at the church where this is hung for real, who I reckon wouldn't appreciate my sense of humor about it, either. They are, in general, hugely offended by it instead, because they see nothing funny whatsoever about displaying Jesus' ginormous penis in church, not in the least bit! Seems as though this has caused quite a "deep divide" among members o