Skip to main content

Things We Say and Do, Who Knew?

Once in awhile, when you're feeling like crap about yourself (okay, maybe that's just me, but) it's not such a bad idea to remind your own self that you are planted here for some reason. And to also remember how you'll probably most likely never have any idea of how some seemingly insignificant thing you might have done or said impacted another, some whom you might not even have known.

Kind of a bonus then those times when you do find out by some chance at least something that you might have done or said and considered forgettable, but a token of sorts to take away even a single incident, that did make a difference.

Backstory here. There was this lady I hired once to work for me, she was a joy. Short little rotund upbeat middle-aged woman. Moving her entire family from Oklahoma to Kansas City for the job. So then after a couple of years, I showed up to work one day and shortly after walking into my office the phone rang. It was Joan.

"Hi, Doug. I wanted to call and let you know that I won't be able to make it in to work today, my husband is dead."

Oh my God! I mean, I'm accustomed to pretending sympathetic to fake sick days and stuff (cough, sniffle) just as I expect my highers-up to be with me when I pull the same stunt, but this one was not something I knew how to even respond!

"The police are here now," she said. "I didn't kill him or anything, but I wanted to call you first and let you know."

Bless her heart, she was obviously in shock anyway, since she had just found him dead that morning when she got up to get ready for work, and I was her first (or second, I guess, the cops were already on scene) call on the list before family or anyone else who might have mattered more. Plus dealing with having to tell their two sons still at home.

So that was a stickler conversation for me, that call, not having any idea how to respond. I did my best and despite company policy of I think it was three days allowed for dead family members I told her to take away as much time from the office as she needed, no worries.

She called in every couple of days to let me know how things were going, and a few of us from the office went to her husband's funeral.

The day before she came back to work, I intentionally went into her office and made a point to rip off the desk calendar sheets to be up to date! I mean, who would want to come back to the last night you left for home expecting to tear off yourself the next date and find the one staring you in the face that hubby found dead.

All right, as an aside, personally I think after not so long of a time she did begin to enjoy singledom. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I thought it was funny to watch actually. And she did start traveling some and always brought me back presents, so that was an upside.

Anyway, then after I had left the company and just a few years after that morning phone call, I received another call one evening from a friend of mine and still an employee there, to tell me that Joan's oldest son had been killed. In a car accident, while on the phone even with the woman he had been seeing, which probably aces my freaking out phone call that this lady heard him die. Missed a curve in the road, he did, crashed and was killed.

I hadn't spoken to Joan in those years since I had left, but I felt compelled to call her since I had tried (my best effort, at least) to be there when her husband had passed away just to let her know that I was aware and that my thoughts and prayers were definitely with her. It had just happened, the accident perhaps the day before.

She was upset, clearly, and I didn't keep her on the phone for too long. I just wanted to convey my condolences and to let her know I cared and was mindful of what had just happened.

Jeez, back to my original point ... got carried away there. But anyway I remembered ending the call, because when she started breaking down and bawling I got really uncomfortable, by telling her to remember her blessings and not to forget her other son, and finally that I had been witness to and had admired her strength in the past so I knew she was a strong woman, and would make it through this time.

That was it. That's all. Then months later I was talking to another friend still working there who off the cuff just happened to mention to me how after that night's tragedy Joan had mentioned to her my phone call. How that she had begun to think she couldn't deal with the situation any longer, but Doug had called and said that she was a strong woman and that he had admired her strength, and that clicked with her to buck up and move forward.

Hey, you never know, that's all I'm saying. And it made me feel used, in a good way. I just happened to find out this by chance, but it is a reminder to me constantly that whatever I choose to say, whatever I choose to do, really does sometimes make a difference in someone's life, whether I will ever know how or why is of no consequence. So I try to be thoughtful of my actions.

Of course, not all of my actions are always so positive, I get pissed off and probably have also emotionally scarred some for life, but you take the bad with the good. I do like finding out my good self, though. Warm fuzzies and all, reminds me that I might have some worth here after all. Have a good week, make the best of it!

Comments

  1. "Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." Mother Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know from personal experience, how encouraging and sweet you can be. Is the check in the mail, D-Ro? Just kidding you know you're one of my buds. Seriously, you never know how saying the right thing at the right time can change the path that someone is getting ready to take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg Douglas...(you know by now that I call you that, my son, when I am emotional...one way or the other right?)...

    What a wonderful blog for to start the day. (I listen to them all now, don't read)

    Beautiful, beautiful, BUT the main thing it was validation for me on something I have been thinking of doing. This morning I kind of "fine tuned" that idea in my head, but wondered if it was silly.

    You were this time for me...a sign that gave chills...that I the thought was not at all silly, but instead probably very much needed.

    I will email you the deets as it is personal, but not right away. Again, it is still an idea that is not yet born.

    Thank you for this beautiful morning blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "...not such a bad idea to remind your own self that you are planted here for some reason..."

    Nice Oprah moment, Doug. LOL

    What's interesting is that many say the quoted statement as an affirmation of good things to come. Maybe, just maybe, someone was planted here to suck at living. I'm with you on the insignificant thing, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane, Damn that Mother Teresa for summing up in two lines what I took two pages or whatever to say. Great quote.

    Rain, Of course the check is in the mail. It'll bounce, so don't be surprised, but it is the thought that counts. And, too, thanks for the kind words.

    Lumina, I don't know what to say other than if somehow or for whatever reason whatever my ramble that it spoke to you somehow. Another warm fuzzy moment there.

    Fan, Fan, Fan ... You always make me laugh, saying the same kind of shit I'd probably say to others when they turn Oprahish. I'm as cynical and sarcastic as they come, but I am a homo guy so you have to cut me slack from time to time to be all sappy sometimes. So yeah, but I don't agree that some people were just put here for sucking. Except maybe hopefully the cute guy who just moved in two houses down, maybe his purpose truly is to just suck ... I would have no problem accepting that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia outlaws microchip implants: "Just imagine having a beeper in your rectum and your beeper numbers displayed on billboards throughout the city."

Well, that bill passed, the one from Georgia "so as to prohibit requiring a person to be implanted with a microchip," Senate Bill 235 . At least it made its way through the House Judiciary Committee, anyway, next stop the House Rules Committee that decides whether it moves on to the full House vote and (fingers crossed) final passage. I'd think it probably should, taking into account the compelling testimony brought up at this last hearing, from some fat lady about why non-consensual chipping should be made against the law. There she described in detail her own personal experience, with being implanted against her druthers: "I'm also one of the people in Georgia who has a microchip," she began. ("Also one?" There's more of them there?) She went on about the specific disadvantages, how it violates one's "right to work without being tortured by co-workers who are activating these microchips by using their cell phones and other electro

I Think

I think I'm bored blogging. I think I'm done with it. I think what's the point? I think you should check out my blogroll instead. I think they say stuff better anyway.

Hung on the Cross

So what, I'm not very mature for my age. I don't care, I'm easily amused because of it, and I enjoy being amused. Like this picture of a crucifix which was hoisted a couple of months ago above the main altar at the St. Charles Borromeo Catholic church in Oklahoma: I can come up with lots of hilariously inappropriate captions here, some that even I am embarrassed to admit thinking up, despite my unabashed crudity. I would share but probably everyone else is too sophisticated to see the humor. Plus, I really don't want to go to Hell. I'm guessing that there are an awful lot of Okie parishioners down there at the church where this is hung for real, who I reckon wouldn't appreciate my sense of humor about it, either. They are, in general, hugely offended by it instead, because they see nothing funny whatsoever about displaying Jesus' ginormous penis in church, not in the least bit! Seems as though this has caused quite a "deep divide" among members o