Skip to main content

A Night to Remember


This is me passed out at nineteen years of age back in 1982, pool stick still in hand awaiting my next shot. I appear dead, I know.

Don't remember where from this grainy black and white I happened across here, I have an entire set of color prints from that night somewhere in a box, but in cleaning up my hard drive I found this.

[UPDATE: I figured out where from this splotchy photo after all, a FAX of a photocopy of a scan of the original that was sent to me a few years back, it's a fourth generation rendition so no wonder so bad. It bugged me not remembering. Found the original sent to me by one of the other delinquents there that night. Mystery solved.]

Things I remember about that night. Just Denise, Barb, Del and me with the house all to ourselves. Lots of rum and Coke, then rum straight up when the pop ran out. In the basement, playing pool, I think there might have possibly been a joint in the mix as well.

Not too long before I first got married, trying to squeeze in all the fun with friends I could manage before I knew it had to eventually end.

We listened to all 17 minutes of Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida straight through, twice back to back. Don't know why. Drunk or stoned or maybe both, there's really no excuse for that. Then moved it along to some Rick James instead, had quite a variety of 8-track tapes from which to pick and choose.

Del and I allowed at some point for Denise and Barb to make us pretty with makeup and then stepped it up another notch by donning from their closets favorite dresses and high heels. Conversely, we then butched up the girls with man clothes and faux scruffy beards and hats and other sundry manly paraphernalia, took lots of pictures together. Tootsies and Yentls it was.

Anyway, for the record, at least as far as I know (I guess I can only really just speak for myself, but I'm pretty sure) the single time for any of us experimenting with the cross-dressing thing. Wanted to make that clear. Made for some fun pictures together, though.

Yikes. Like I said, I've got the whole collection of the night's pics somewhere in living color, gender-switching shots included. Mental note to self to seek and destroy the evidence now that I'm remembering what some of them were. I'd hate to keel over one of these days with my survivors finding them all and wondering.

Memories. It was a good night, though, notable for sure. Why certain experiences seem to stand out more so amongst one's recollections, however degrading, I don't know, but it is nice to remember past good times had. Even arguably pitiful moments.

Comments

  1. I love stuff like this,Doug! Whenever I look at pictures of myself when I was a teenager or young man, my first thought is always: Gee, what was I thinking with my hair?! The second thought usually concerns my clothes. I wouldn't take anything for my photographs and the memories they keep alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. D-Ro... cute pic! The only controversial photo's I have are of myself and my friend Ally, dressed up like Madonna, fishnets and all. We also loved the Flashdance look. I agree with Doug B, some of the hair do's we had we're more like hair don't's

    ReplyDelete
  3. man, i love the eighties. everything about it. the big hair. funky looking clothes. i'm so outdated that i still wear the flashdance look - an off the shoulder sweatshirt, but come now what's sexier than that??? okay, lots of things but still.

    bring the eighties fashion back! big hair and all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, weird the certain times that stick in your brain. It was an all-nighter, good times. At least I remembered where this splotchy pic came from finally, that was bugging me and explains the quality or lack thereof. Fortunately I passed out in the flannel shirt and t-shirt before the dressing up, that would have been even more embarrassing. Of course, I'd have posted that one anyway, no shame here.

    Rain in fishnets would be an interesting photo to share, methinks, and as for the flashdance look, I still think that's kinda sexy, frankly. Doug, I've never been one for taking or keeping pictures, but I realize how in looking back, the ones I do still have I wouldn't trade for the world. Also I used to did spend hours going through old family photos when I'd spend time at Granny's or even at Mom and Dad's going through them all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, when I get to work and a scanner Monday, I will send you a pic of you in another cross-dressing episode. I am absolutely flabbergasted you don't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could delete Anon cuz, well, I could. No reason to, never happened, or I'd have freely said so. Just thought it was funny to keep around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a fun read. :) And helloooooo? A semi-glimpse of the man behind the blog! Fun!

    8 track tapes...We had many. Kook and the Gang, Al Green...those were a trip! Would be funny to just see/hold one now.

    The fun times we had when we had the house to ourselves huh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys were the kids I didn't hang with. Never made sense to me. I had a lover and we spent time together. I also loved being with adults in my family. Obviously, I was considered a nerd and narc. By the '80s I was with another lover, traveling, building a life together, working 50 hour weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Damn, dude, can't believe you wanted to delete me! I DO, I DO have pics of you cross-dressing!!! I just work 20-6 until Christmas Break!!! I have a bad memory and it's all about entertaining/teaching the kids! I'm a public school teacher, Cuz, so gimme a break! I have a pic of you cross-dressing from Granny's attic :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia outlaws microchip implants: "Just imagine having a beeper in your rectum and your beeper numbers displayed on billboards throughout the city."

Well, that bill passed, the one from Georgia "so as to prohibit requiring a person to be implanted with a microchip," Senate Bill 235 . At least it made its way through the House Judiciary Committee, anyway, next stop the House Rules Committee that decides whether it moves on to the full House vote and (fingers crossed) final passage. I'd think it probably should, taking into account the compelling testimony brought up at this last hearing, from some fat lady about why non-consensual chipping should be made against the law. There she described in detail her own personal experience, with being implanted against her druthers: "I'm also one of the people in Georgia who has a microchip," she began. ("Also one?" There's more of them there?) She went on about the specific disadvantages, how it violates one's "right to work without being tortured by co-workers who are activating these microchips by using their cell phones and other electro

I Think

I think I'm bored blogging. I think I'm done with it. I think what's the point? I think you should check out my blogroll instead. I think they say stuff better anyway.

Hung on the Cross

So what, I'm not very mature for my age. I don't care, I'm easily amused because of it, and I enjoy being amused. Like this picture of a crucifix which was hoisted a couple of months ago above the main altar at the St. Charles Borromeo Catholic church in Oklahoma: I can come up with lots of hilariously inappropriate captions here, some that even I am embarrassed to admit thinking up, despite my unabashed crudity. I would share but probably everyone else is too sophisticated to see the humor. Plus, I really don't want to go to Hell. I'm guessing that there are an awful lot of Okie parishioners down there at the church where this is hung for real, who I reckon wouldn't appreciate my sense of humor about it, either. They are, in general, hugely offended by it instead, because they see nothing funny whatsoever about displaying Jesus' ginormous penis in church, not in the least bit! Seems as though this has caused quite a "deep divide" among members o