Skip to main content

Then Again, Maybe Determinism is Why I Wrote This Post and I am Wrong Thinking I Freely Willed to Do So

A few days ago over at the Groping the Elephant blog, Doug B brought up the subject of predictability, specifically of causal determinism. I get the impression from this and other of his previous posts that Doug is a dead set believer of determinism (as far as I can tell).

Anyway, so he ended the post inviting his readers to think about that. And I accepted the invitation, since although I knew where I stood on the subject, I really had never thought out the reasons why and figured I probably should.

Determinism is the philosophy that every event, including human decision and action, is absolutely predetermined and the result of earlier causes. The presumption here is that there is no such thing as free will or choice, that events which seem happenstance are actually foreordained and could be fully understood and explained (the future could be predicted even) if only an avant-garde smartest someone was able to figure out how things work.

Of course I have no issue with believing in the laws of nature, causes and effects, antecedent conditions producing consequences, butterflies spawning tornadoes; physics is physics, after all, and I'm no fantastical flake.

The problem I have holding with determinism is that, precluding free will, there is no such thing as morality, no right or wrong, no good or evil; all of our behaviors would be foreordained and we would have no choice in the decisions that we make. Everything would be out of our control, which might certainly be convenient but which I find incredible.

Assuming that there is no chance happening, no such thing as choice and only a singular predictable future reality seems entirely illogical to me. I would maintain that, in the mashup of all things existential, chance and free will are also causative in determining the future, just as are other natural laws.

My personal contention then, is that there is an interconnection of certainty with chance and choice that shapes reality, and that there are multiple possible futures. Fundamentally, I think that the physical and metaphysical realities of a connected universe frustrates being defined by either absolute determinism or chance, that the two are in fact compatible.

Comments

  1. One thing I think we can agree on: my post was one of the major causes of this one. And I'm delighted to have been part of the process. But I have to ask you: is it not doublethink to believe in a future based on "certainty with chance"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "there is an interconnection of certainty with chance and choice that shapes the future reality, and that there are multiple possible futures."

    I believe my actions certainly do lead to my future reality, but not to a *specific* future reality. There are too many other factors at play, including the actions of others, to predestine me to a single future reality.

    Or maybe I've just read The Talisman too many times. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, not doublethink, more like duality. I do think there are multiple possible futures, but I think that those possible futures are limited to the possibilities determined by the causal chain of events that created the present. Like I said, I don't think that *absolute* certainty nor *absolute* chance define the future, but both together, certainty allowing chance and chance becoming certainty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that brings up the whole parallel universe thing.... :) and that's something that makes my brain hurt thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, Doug, I forgot to mention that, yes, your post was obviously the cause of this one, and also that I do want to thank you for that. Being part of the thinking "process", you always do that well, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, Doug, I forgot to mention that, yes, your post was obviously the cause of this one, and also that I do want to thank you for that. Being part of the thinking "process", you always do that well, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. εἰ δὲ ταῦτα φαίνεται καὶ μὴ ἔχομεν εἰς ἄλλας ἀρχὰς ἀναγαγεῖν παρὰ τὰς ἐν ἡμῖν, ὧν καὶ αἱ ἀρχαὶ ἐν ἡμῖν, καὶ αὐτὰ ἐφ' ἡμῖν καὶ ἑκούσια.

    But if it is manifest that a man is the author of his own actions, and if we are unable to trace our conduct back to any other origins than those within ourselves, then actions of which the origins are within us, themselves depend upon us, and are voluntary. Aristotle- This has been discussed by philosophers for centuries. Discussed so much I wonder--why? It seems pretty obvious that all that happens is either natural law at work or a combination of many events. Yawn.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia outlaws microchip implants: "Just imagine having a beeper in your rectum and your beeper numbers displayed on billboards throughout the city."

Well, that bill passed, the one from Georgia "so as to prohibit requiring a person to be implanted with a microchip," Senate Bill 235 . At least it made its way through the House Judiciary Committee, anyway, next stop the House Rules Committee that decides whether it moves on to the full House vote and (fingers crossed) final passage. I'd think it probably should, taking into account the compelling testimony brought up at this last hearing, from some fat lady about why non-consensual chipping should be made against the law. There she described in detail her own personal experience, with being implanted against her druthers: "I'm also one of the people in Georgia who has a microchip," she began. ("Also one?" There's more of them there?) She went on about the specific disadvantages, how it violates one's "right to work without being tortured by co-workers who are activating these microchips by using their cell phones and other electro

I Think

I think I'm bored blogging. I think I'm done with it. I think what's the point? I think you should check out my blogroll instead. I think they say stuff better anyway.

Hung on the Cross

So what, I'm not very mature for my age. I don't care, I'm easily amused because of it, and I enjoy being amused. Like this picture of a crucifix which was hoisted a couple of months ago above the main altar at the St. Charles Borromeo Catholic church in Oklahoma: I can come up with lots of hilariously inappropriate captions here, some that even I am embarrassed to admit thinking up, despite my unabashed crudity. I would share but probably everyone else is too sophisticated to see the humor. Plus, I really don't want to go to Hell. I'm guessing that there are an awful lot of Okie parishioners down there at the church where this is hung for real, who I reckon wouldn't appreciate my sense of humor about it, either. They are, in general, hugely offended by it instead, because they see nothing funny whatsoever about displaying Jesus' ginormous penis in church, not in the least bit! Seems as though this has caused quite a "deep divide" among members o