Skip to main content

First Year Container Gardening

I have decided to take a stab at container gardening this season, and frankly, I think I am probably more excited about it than I should be, practically giddy at the thought. As likely as not I could blame that on me running on empty. I slept not at all last night and had only a nap this morning. At this point I'm on my third or fourth wind, so I feel sort of crazy hyper anyway. No doubt I should be going to bed rather than here babbling on about my reckoned on garden, but whatever.

So yeah, here's the thing. It's not that I am unaccustomed to gardening, I've done it before so it's not as if I am embarking on some new agrarian adventure. My heredity alone probably would account for a sort of genetic propensity to grow stuff, but container gardening, that's new to me. Never thought about it much, I suppose since I never had any reason to consider doing it before now. This year is different without having my own place, I'm just glad I thought of it in time.

I'm sure it will be quite different, and I'll undoubtedly screw up some things. For example, I don't know what is the best size of container to use for growing this veg or that one, I'm sure that matters, and can I grow any sort of root vegetable? The thing is, wherever I miss the boat it won't matter much, since the whole experiment will be mostly free from seeds I've saved, or a few cents for the rest. Which makes the grade for poor and penny-wise me.

I save all sorts of awesome trash, too, like egg cartons and yogurt cups, which, like Mike Lieberman who is my inspiration, I figure seem perfect for starting out some seeds. Also I'm pretty sure those five-gallon buckets people always have stacked somewhere around (maybe I just hang with a weirdo bunch) would be spot on, real gone for growing.

Amazing how long I have rambled on about it, I am aware. I could just have easily summed up this treatise in one-forty, probably even less, with space left over for a hashtag or two. But I am kind of tingly right now thinking about this, overly charged up; I don't know exactly why, other than blaming it on my circadian rhythm out of whack. I should hit the sack now before my stream of consciousness keeps me going on.

Comments

  1. I just returned a book to our library called "Incredible Vegetables from Self-Watering Containers". Although I just skimmed through it, what I did read made a lot of sense and was explained in simple to understand terms. I don't know about you, but my eyes glaze over when gardening gets too technical. This book didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion. I agree with you, too, about gardening discussed too technically. Maybe I could have managed bigger or more productive crops if I paid attention to that sort of thing, but I figure it has kind of been going on forever, trial and error, and I learn better than way anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get copy of this book: "Incredible Vegetables from Self Watering Containers" by Edward C. Smith. You can find it on Amazon. Great book and the best way to go with container gardening. I make my own containers out of those orange buckets from Home Depot for tomatoes, etc. Then I use the smaller white buckets from the paint dept. for herbs, celery, etc. The book explains how to do it and how to do each vegetable, the size container, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The size container info should come in handy for sure, thanks for that recommendation. I'll check that one out, too. Everything I've gardened before has been free to grow however, the planet is a pretty big container, so I never gave it any thought really. Glad you mentioned celery, too, another to add to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a cool idea. My mother has the green-thumb in my family. She can make anything grow. We were known in the neighborhood for our plants that she had hanging in the window. I would love to grow my own veggies. Since her health has declined, it may be a good way to get her out and about, so maybe I'll get her to get me started. Good luck with your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mom would probably enjoy that, and containers I would think might be more fitting given her health? You probably have space to do it in ground as the good lord intended, you ought to definitely give it a go yourself. I had a garden when I lived in a typical subdivision, but even with limited space and only the basics of tomatoes, cukes, peppers, that sort of thing, it's really awesome growing your own. My family always grew acres of stuff, I don't know what they did with it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. See now you're inspiring me to start that garden I always wanted. It would be fun, we have a lot of bunnies around too, I'm sure they'll enjoy eating the veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you might want to sort of fence it in, the rabbits can be pesky. but go for it! honestly even back when i was a suburbian gardener, just the very small corner of the yard i had far too much produce for my then family of 4 to use up. doesn't take much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. See now you're inspiring me to start that garden I always wanted. It would be fun, we have a lot of bunnies around too, I'm sure they'll enjoy eating the veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Consuming organic food is one way of making our world a better place to live in. Support this youth movement to fix the economy and earn over $100 for your family. Saving our planet indeed has great rewards! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Get copy of this book: "Incredible Vegetables from Self Watering Containers" by Edward C. Smith. You can find it on Amazon. Great book and the best way to go with container gardening. I make my own containers out of those orange buckets from Home Depot for tomatoes, etc. Then I use the smaller white buckets from the paint dept. for herbs, celery, etc. The book explains how to do it and how to do each vegetable, the size container, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia outlaws microchip implants: "Just imagine having a beeper in your rectum and your beeper numbers displayed on billboards throughout the city."

Well, that bill passed, the one from Georgia "so as to prohibit requiring a person to be implanted with a microchip," Senate Bill 235 . At least it made its way through the House Judiciary Committee, anyway, next stop the House Rules Committee that decides whether it moves on to the full House vote and (fingers crossed) final passage. I'd think it probably should, taking into account the compelling testimony brought up at this last hearing, from some fat lady about why non-consensual chipping should be made against the law. There she described in detail her own personal experience, with being implanted against her druthers: "I'm also one of the people in Georgia who has a microchip," she began. ("Also one?" There's more of them there?) She went on about the specific disadvantages, how it violates one's "right to work without being tortured by co-workers who are activating these microchips by using their cell phones and other electro

I Think

I think I'm bored blogging. I think I'm done with it. I think what's the point? I think you should check out my blogroll instead. I think they say stuff better anyway.

Hung on the Cross

So what, I'm not very mature for my age. I don't care, I'm easily amused because of it, and I enjoy being amused. Like this picture of a crucifix which was hoisted a couple of months ago above the main altar at the St. Charles Borromeo Catholic church in Oklahoma: I can come up with lots of hilariously inappropriate captions here, some that even I am embarrassed to admit thinking up, despite my unabashed crudity. I would share but probably everyone else is too sophisticated to see the humor. Plus, I really don't want to go to Hell. I'm guessing that there are an awful lot of Okie parishioners down there at the church where this is hung for real, who I reckon wouldn't appreciate my sense of humor about it, either. They are, in general, hugely offended by it instead, because they see nothing funny whatsoever about displaying Jesus' ginormous penis in church, not in the least bit! Seems as though this has caused quite a "deep divide" among members o