Skip to main content

It's Not Easy Being Green

I have always been a registered Democrat, until just recently when I went to register again for the county where I live now. It feels funny not being a Democrat after so long a time, but I am now formally a Green Party person. I don't really know for sure what we call ourselves; Greens, I suppose.

It could be argued that it was a stupid thing to do, because now my vote will count for even less shit (or will count for even more shit... I'm not exactly sure how that phrase works) than before, as a Democrat. And I did waffle on it a bit for that very reason, but at the end of the day I went with my gut and convictions and switched over.

Both parties' platforms in some ways square up, but there are particular planks that I care about, that the Green's ones seem stronger than the Democrat's. On those certain issues, the Democratic stance seems either really ambiguous, or sometimes flat out contrary to my views. The bottom line is that, if for no other reason, going Green gives me less reason to feel compromised.

I lean decidedly Green on particulars such as health care (single-payer, duh), same-sex marriage (civil unions ain't gonna cut it), drugs (puff on, magic dragon), energy (drilling: been there, done that), the death penalty (kill it), foreign policy (Israel is basically an asshole), war in general (neither effective nor justifiable), faith-based initiatives (philanthropy good, proselytism not so much), and lastly but absolutely not least, environmental concerns (even for a planet, sustainability has its limits).

These and others are issues on which I would really like for my vote to count towards my ideology, and I know that won't happen so long as I vote partisan, now that I've turned Green. But still, the switch is worth it to me, to affiliate myself with a party that's not quite so wishy-washy (not quite so democratic, one might say) but rather is more hardcore aligned with my own philosophy of things.

Of course, as a party they we really haven't caught a break to get corrupted by politics as yet, and maybe that's what I find most appealing. Copping out to appease is just not fitting with my way of thinking, and unfortunately that seems to have become the matter of course for the Democrats. What I can't figure out, then, is exactly why it feels so awkward for me identifying as a Green, even though it does suit me better. Kermit had a point, it's not easy.

Comments

  1. The Greens suit me better too, except for the strict part, although I know what I want, know what I believe, I am not cool with shutting out other's opinions. I want compromise to rule. If it doesn't, we just flip flop to 4yrs of gay marriage, 4yrs of none and so on---in business world(ick) they call it buying in and I know it takes longer and sucks out the life of our Republic, but we can't just toss aside people who believe the Bible or the Koran or Dolly Lama is the real truth---I would rather build a community. That is why it doesn't feel right to me. I love Ralph, but he will never be president. AND I think much can be done OUTSIDE the political circus in D.C.--- perhaps more. Wars have beeen stopped, lies revealed, health care and attitudes changed just with us little guys joining together. I am rainbow. I am Parton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should declare a party that you feel most comfortable with. If it's Green, more power to you.

    I think it's just important to be involved. I know of a few people that have no clue what is going on politically and that is worrisome. Many issues directly affect their lives yet they don't know or don't even care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good points, and I agree 100%. Probably why I still feel kind of weird about it, but when it comes down to it, it is the party I most am aligned with and am so frustrated with business as usual it sort of makes me an outsider to the "political circus". Still weird tho.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Worrisome indeed!! Unfortunately I think it is more than a few people with no clue, I do not understand that. I think it's inexcusable people not paying attention to shit that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm quite green too. But I'm beginning to more and more question whether political parties matter at all in our plutocracy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a Independent Liberal. The Democrats have disappointed me too many times. I don't see myself switching parties any time soon. I just can't understand why they aren't stronger. Republicans are so corrupt IMO, but at least they're fighters. Democrats on the other hand... If Jesse Ventura ran I'd vote for him in a heartbeat. I'm tired of electing moderate Democrats, I want a real liberal in the white house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Easy enough to wonder that, for sure. Still you gotta have faith, no? Don't answer that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy listening to Ventura, would I vote him in? No. But at least it can't be argued he isn't a wuss and sure as hell stands strong for his convictions, which I do admire.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your best bet is to find where your vote will count.

    ReplyDelete
  10. True I want my vote to count, I also want to vote my convictions and that seems iffy anymore voting a two-party line. It wasn't easy switching off.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia outlaws microchip implants: "Just imagine having a beeper in your rectum and your beeper numbers displayed on billboards throughout the city."

Well, that bill passed, the one from Georgia "so as to prohibit requiring a person to be implanted with a microchip," Senate Bill 235 . At least it made its way through the House Judiciary Committee, anyway, next stop the House Rules Committee that decides whether it moves on to the full House vote and (fingers crossed) final passage. I'd think it probably should, taking into account the compelling testimony brought up at this last hearing, from some fat lady about why non-consensual chipping should be made against the law. There she described in detail her own personal experience, with being implanted against her druthers: "I'm also one of the people in Georgia who has a microchip," she began. ("Also one?" There's more of them there?) She went on about the specific disadvantages, how it violates one's "right to work without being tortured by co-workers who are activating these microchips by using their cell phones and other electro

I Think

I think I'm bored blogging. I think I'm done with it. I think what's the point? I think you should check out my blogroll instead. I think they say stuff better anyway.

Hung on the Cross

So what, I'm not very mature for my age. I don't care, I'm easily amused because of it, and I enjoy being amused. Like this picture of a crucifix which was hoisted a couple of months ago above the main altar at the St. Charles Borromeo Catholic church in Oklahoma: I can come up with lots of hilariously inappropriate captions here, some that even I am embarrassed to admit thinking up, despite my unabashed crudity. I would share but probably everyone else is too sophisticated to see the humor. Plus, I really don't want to go to Hell. I'm guessing that there are an awful lot of Okie parishioners down there at the church where this is hung for real, who I reckon wouldn't appreciate my sense of humor about it, either. They are, in general, hugely offended by it instead, because they see nothing funny whatsoever about displaying Jesus' ginormous penis in church, not in the least bit! Seems as though this has caused quite a "deep divide" among members o