Skip to main content

No Rick Warren, But Not For Why You Think

Yesterday I wrote a post, but did not publish it, about why even me being a gay guy and everything still not understanding all this huff about Obama's selecting anti-gay preacher Rick Warren for the inaugural beseeching of the Almighty for auspicious divine guidance on behalf of Barack from day one of his new job.

I mean, I honestly do not dislike Rick Warren. His Purpose Driven Life book is the second all-time bestseller next to only the Holy Bible, and he does have some particularly excellent worthwhile perspectives about a lot of things in that. I might go so far as to say that not only do I not dislike him, I actually kind of do like him. I could explain why but that's not my point here.

Then, however, while pecking away at the keyboard and remembering and listening again to his commentaries categorizing my own sexual orientation alongside that with the pedophiles and maybe those fucking their own sisters (or brothers, I suppose, whichever), everything just short of engaging in some sort of bestial orgy, yeah, I got pissed off again. What a hidebound asshole.

So I highlighted and deleted that first entire post, shifted gears writing another one instead, didn't publish that one either, about why even with me not necessarily disliking Rick Warren how what a foolish and even idiotic choosing on Obama's part for selecting such an intolerant bigot to bring on the first supplication for heavenly direction over his new administration. I could also explain why here, too, but that also is not my point.

Here's my point, and a novel concept that just occurred to me. I just came up with this after all my own waffling back and forth. I think it just might be a common sense solution quashing the noise from both sides of this issue (which I have admittedly here flipped and flopped about) ... hang on and bear with me, but what about separating Church from State entirely? I know! Radical me, but that's how my mind rolls. Me and my far-out ideas.

Begging whatever in Jesus' name for the big induction blowout party is just part of the pomp and circumstance anyway. And even with me being a God fan and stuff, I nonetheless see no justification for the invocation prayer at these every four-year bashes. So just nix that part of the program, I say, and let's consider disuniting religion and government from the get go.

Like the litany of amelioratory appeals does so much good anyway, recalling again January 2001 the inaugural invocation and benediction for George W. Bush by Franklin Graham, remember?
"O Lord, as we come together on this historic and solemn occasion to inaugurate once again a president and vice president, teach us afresh that power, wisdom and salvation come only from your hand.

"We pray, O Lord, for President-elect George W. Bush and Vice President-elect Richard B. Cheney, to whom you have entrusted leadership of this nation at this moment in history. We pray that you will help them bring our country together, so that we may rise above partisan politics and seek the larger vision of your will for our nation.

"Give our new president and all who advise him calmness in the face of storms, encouragement in the face of frustration, and humility in the face of success. Give them the wisdom to know and to do what is right and the courage to say no to all that is contrary to your statutes of holy law."
Yeah, that worked out well, huh? One of two things happened there, either notwithstanding conjuring up celestial advice it clearly went unheeded and proved to be simply a futile waste of Brother Graham's time that day, or else the Good Lord's skills at doling out wise advisement are sorely lacking. I kind of figure probably on the first possibility, or at least I would hope so anyway.

This or that explanation, neither answers for the advantage of even bringing in to the inauguration process praying by anyone, controversial otherworldly mouthpiece or even not so polemical. I hope my revolutionary brainstorm of keeping Church and State apart isn't too progressive or off-putting, just a random thought I had.

Comments

  1. Wow. I watched Bush's inauguration on TV but can't recall anything Graham said. Thanks for bringing that up. You are right: such prayers are mostly useless, for whatever reason. These inaugural invocations are just traditional feel-good things that are done to make the majority feel warm and fuzzy inside. Like taking the oath of office with one's hand on the Bible. Not required by the Constitution, and not (as history indicates) a guarantee that the oath-taker is sincere and trustworthy. But just imagine the flak if a future president-elect decided to bypass on these trivial little niceties!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obama's big on inviting everyone to the table. Fine. Just as long as he feeds the Christrian right scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most everything is out there just for warm fuzzies really at these events, except maybe not so fuzzy for those who might not be believers in the first place of whatever religion, or have none at all. and that hand on the Bible oath thing is probably off-putting to some. I never got that in any situation really. I sometimes wonder what it might be like if some day we would vote in an atheist, that might be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you think, D-Ro.
    Thanks for a different perspective on this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comment, Rain. I don't know if my perspective is so different but just that I haven't heard anyone even bring it up for consideration, either hardwired one way pro or con. Like I said I've waffled on it myself, until I figured it might not should even be an issue in the first place. thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia outlaws microchip implants: "Just imagine having a beeper in your rectum and your beeper numbers displayed on billboards throughout the city."

Well, that bill passed, the one from Georgia "so as to prohibit requiring a person to be implanted with a microchip," Senate Bill 235 . At least it made its way through the House Judiciary Committee, anyway, next stop the House Rules Committee that decides whether it moves on to the full House vote and (fingers crossed) final passage. I'd think it probably should, taking into account the compelling testimony brought up at this last hearing, from some fat lady about why non-consensual chipping should be made against the law. There she described in detail her own personal experience, with being implanted against her druthers: "I'm also one of the people in Georgia who has a microchip," she began. ("Also one?" There's more of them there?) She went on about the specific disadvantages, how it violates one's "right to work without being tortured by co-workers who are activating these microchips by using their cell phones and other electro

I Think

I think I'm bored blogging. I think I'm done with it. I think what's the point? I think you should check out my blogroll instead. I think they say stuff better anyway.

Hung on the Cross

So what, I'm not very mature for my age. I don't care, I'm easily amused because of it, and I enjoy being amused. Like this picture of a crucifix which was hoisted a couple of months ago above the main altar at the St. Charles Borromeo Catholic church in Oklahoma: I can come up with lots of hilariously inappropriate captions here, some that even I am embarrassed to admit thinking up, despite my unabashed crudity. I would share but probably everyone else is too sophisticated to see the humor. Plus, I really don't want to go to Hell. I'm guessing that there are an awful lot of Okie parishioners down there at the church where this is hung for real, who I reckon wouldn't appreciate my sense of humor about it, either. They are, in general, hugely offended by it instead, because they see nothing funny whatsoever about displaying Jesus' ginormous penis in church, not in the least bit! Seems as though this has caused quite a "deep divide" among members o