Skip to main content

Gay Hooky Day


Sorry to disappoint my fellow homos, some of which will no doubt be on board with this whole deal and probably even participating, and fabulous best wishes for them all. You go, boys and girls!

But this "calling in gay day" for tomorrow is just flat out embarrassing to me personally. Exactly how is this making any point supporting the gay marriage thing, the impetus for this entire nationwide game plan? Ah, that's right, it doesn't really at all.

It accomplishes nothing toward that end, of course, despite that being the original issue providing the instigators their Eureka! moment of deciding to rally together all workerbee Ls, Gs, Bs and Ts to validate just how reliant their companies are on them showing up in order to stay afloat... the "Day Without a Gay" scheduled for maƱana I suppose is meant to make at least that much clear.

But a stupid approach and bad idea overall just the same. Mostly meaningless, though, are the extraneous bits of the planned queer day off too, aside from playing hooky a day out from the cubicle, the not going online, the no watching of television nor switching on the lights, and withdrawing from our bank accounts all of $80 to pocket for the day so the banks can't exploit our gay wads ... yeah, that'll make a difference. Why eighty a magic number I have no clue.

Not to mention that the gay issue thingy in lots of workplaces, still reason enough to be sent packing for a permanent vacation outside the office. Don't ask, certainly don't tell. Calling in absentia for tomorrow citing boy-boy or girl-girl affinity might could be enough for being granted time off forever with no more needing to call in at all.

Of course, to confirm the Rainbow Brigade's worthiness on this arbitrary sabbatical, in addition to making whatever weak attempt at denting an already crashed economy by skipping out work (blue on black, tears on a river, but gosh darn it you couldn't go down without us on board!) we are all expected to spend the time instead not at work nor sucking up electrons at home, but rather with our duly withdrawn 80 bucks in pocket (?) making some sort of difference volunteering around town.

Nothing wrong with that in theory, I suppose, voluntarism always a good thing. But seriously, if it is in anyone's constitution helping out in their own community or offering up magnanimous good will they are probably already involved somehow, and most likely planning to use this day off as an excuse to just sleep in. The majority of others not so charitably inclined at any other time, well, snoozing too.

Bottom line is that this is a stupid ass idea from the get go, proves no point nor achieves any objective to speak of as far as I can tell, and certainly a worthless demonstration against or for whatever gay cause I have no idea about.

The most that perhaps might be expected is possibly a next day Thursday of well-rested and less bitchy than usual ten percent workforce. That might be worth it after all, I suppose, the only upside I can consider for this otherwise inconsequential display.

Comments

  1. You just crack me up sometimes, Doug. I chuckled all the way through this one. Being in management, I'm afraid I don't understand this thing. Every one of my employmees is important to me. People are the backbone of what we do. Sure wish some other way would be chosen to make the point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in management most of my career, I'd have just been pissed off. At least it was only one day. I had a manager who reported to me who called in monthly with cramps, not that maybe that not true, but really, I even offered to buy some Midol for her. Like clockwork every 28 days her calls, me having to pick up whatever deadline being her Director. Maybe that's why this kind of stuff annoys me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia outlaws microchip implants: "Just imagine having a beeper in your rectum and your beeper numbers displayed on billboards throughout the city."

Well, that bill passed, the one from Georgia "so as to prohibit requiring a person to be implanted with a microchip," Senate Bill 235 . At least it made its way through the House Judiciary Committee, anyway, next stop the House Rules Committee that decides whether it moves on to the full House vote and (fingers crossed) final passage. I'd think it probably should, taking into account the compelling testimony brought up at this last hearing, from some fat lady about why non-consensual chipping should be made against the law. There she described in detail her own personal experience, with being implanted against her druthers: "I'm also one of the people in Georgia who has a microchip," she began. ("Also one?" There's more of them there?) She went on about the specific disadvantages, how it violates one's "right to work without being tortured by co-workers who are activating these microchips by using their cell phones and other electro

I Think

I think I'm bored blogging. I think I'm done with it. I think what's the point? I think you should check out my blogroll instead. I think they say stuff better anyway.

Hung on the Cross

So what, I'm not very mature for my age. I don't care, I'm easily amused because of it, and I enjoy being amused. Like this picture of a crucifix which was hoisted a couple of months ago above the main altar at the St. Charles Borromeo Catholic church in Oklahoma: I can come up with lots of hilariously inappropriate captions here, some that even I am embarrassed to admit thinking up, despite my unabashed crudity. I would share but probably everyone else is too sophisticated to see the humor. Plus, I really don't want to go to Hell. I'm guessing that there are an awful lot of Okie parishioners down there at the church where this is hung for real, who I reckon wouldn't appreciate my sense of humor about it, either. They are, in general, hugely offended by it instead, because they see nothing funny whatsoever about displaying Jesus' ginormous penis in church, not in the least bit! Seems as though this has caused quite a "deep divide" among members o