Skip to main content

Things I Wonder Why

Why buy salsa when it's cheaper, better, and so fucking quick and easy to just make your own? Same thing with guacamole. And hummus. Yum, by the way, on all three accounts.

Why is it now almost frowned upon to not have that electronic map screen in your car with that bitch also yapping about how to get from point A to point B? They're called maps, people, and they cost about a buck for a good one.

What else. Oh yeah, and speaking of cars, do you really need that DVD player and the game console for the backseat youngster riders-along? Give the kids a book, for God's sake. It's not like their fat asses aren't already spending too much time with that other shit already in the living room at home.

To bitch more, all of these advertisements about how "fantastic the savings" to buy direct from some wholesale distributor warehouse around here (probably just a local thing.)

When this one couple went to remodel their kitchen, for example, fantastic the savings when they had budgeted to spend nearly $50,000 and got the whole kit and kaboodle for nearly half that!

What the fuck, it's a kitchen. All you need really is a friggin' stove and if you're lucky a table and chair, those actually just perks.

This remodeling and upgrading and bells and whistles crap pisses me off lately, and the money people spending to make it happen.

If you have the privilege to eat at all, consider yourself lucky. Those thousands of dollars spent to make the gorging experience more pretty or whatever would be better off spent feeding those not quite so fortunate for probably forever.

Maybe even an entire village in Africa or somewhere for anyone who might be so aware realizing there is actually a world of other folks out there that, despite how much we've gone to crap economically, would still probably feel pretty blessed to "suffer" like we are now.

Whatever. We're a bunch of selfish, greedy assholes and we all suck. I'm not beyond reproach, from in the past anyway, so I'm not pointing fingers without including my former self.

But I'll tell you what, this is something that has become stuck in my craw for quite some time now and I guarantee you, I'm no longer that person, nor will it ever be me again. That is for certain.

I don't really know how I went from salsa to solving world hunger, honestly I don't remember where I had intended to go with this at the start. My train of consciousness not uncommonly does jump the track from time to time. Maybe I'll remember whatever I was originally aiming for later on, I'm sure you can't wait.

It might even have included recipes, I have no idea now. Stay tuned.

Comments

  1. I am staying tuned. :)

    Was kind of like Jerry Seinfeld, but just a little more pissed.

    I must confess. I have never made my own salsa...and I am Mexican! My mom, dad, and grandmas did, so maybe that gets me off the hook?

    Guacamole though. I make a mean bowl of that! Ok, now I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this one. Most people have forgotten thrift and the pleasures of simplicity. Young people today kill me, along with their parents who are so intent that their offspring "not have it as rough as we did" that they rob them of their independence and sense of responsibility. Economic hard times are upon us now, and I'm thinking it may not be altogether a bad thing if it leads to a readjustment of our warped values.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder why I'm reading your post about you wondering why..LOL! I have no sense of direction so, yes I will get a GPS. Maybe with a nice mans voice. The one my hubby has sounds kind of snotty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, Rain. My dad had sport's car with a sexy woman's voice. She said things like (I'm paraphrasing): "I like how you turn me on" and "Is there anything else I can do to please you?" lol!)

    I'm more concerned with having roll-down windows instead of automatic. I always think I could escape if my car got submerged. I just saw in a movie a woman having to shatter her automatic windows in order to escape.

    Doug, I agree about obvious frugality being neglected, if not forgotten or never known. I never buy tarter sauce or cocktail sauce or pre-made dip; I've always made my own- even when I couldn't cook. I was surprised when friends would wonder how I knew how to make tarter sauce! I thought every one knew. I just started making my own bleu cheese dressing b/c I have to live gluten-free and it's better than the expensive "homemade" stuff I get from Whole Foods; and no one had to tell me how to make it, I just knew. I plan on making hummus next, I just think dry chickpeas are going to be a hassle(canned taste weird in hummus imo).

    ReplyDelete
  5. First - Lumina, I am so disappointed in you with not making your own salsa! My God, woman, it's a part of your heritage, you must stop buying the bottled stuff.

    Doug - Yep, my thoughts exactly. Exactly. Did I mention exactly? I'm sick of the warped way of thought of (most) people anymore. Maybe this mess is a good thing, to wake people up to appreciating what is mostly important and get their priorities in order. I read this book "Voluntary Simplicity" several years ago, it should be a must-read for anyone, rich or poor.

    Rain - GPS is just a pet peeve of mine. Sorry. But enjoy. :-)

    Erika - I'm not against splurging from time to time, I used to pretty much splurge well daily. But you don't appreciate the necessities, which is really what's most important. So yeah, whatever.

    Seriously, I have no idea where I had intended to start off on this one, my mind fires off in different direction sometimes, it's kind of embarrassing. That's why I love the Internet, I don't have to try to explain away such things because I really don't know you people. :-)

    Although I have perfected maintaining in real life, don't want anyone I might actually meet aware of what's actually going on in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, well, well. Was this post written specifically for my wasteful ass? :-)

    You had your say Doug and now I'll have mine. The "you" used below is for the "general you" and not anyone specifically.

    As Charles Ingall's says, "I pay cash on the barrel." My home is the only expense I have on "credit."

    I don't have credit card bills. My motto is if I can't afford it in cash I don't need it.

    Speaking of "wasteful" spending, I spent almost $900 on a toilet (there's a joke somewhere in there, doug). People around me were horrified. Why I asked? I paid cash for it. Unlike you who put a pair of $60 jeans on credit.

    Do you really need those new jeans? Yeah, I didn't think so. For the cost of your jeans, you could save three girls from being sold by her father (you can make that purchase on heifer.org. on your credit card)

    Your $60 purchase is just as "wasteful" as my $900 purchase so fuck off.

    I refuse to have a Schindler's list moment because people think they should have a say on what I do with my money. How much do you give to charity? I can guarantee it is probably less than what I donate - considerably less. Just last week I cut a $5,000 check to a charity. That's not including a donation to No on Prop 8 and other policital donations I made last week as well.

    Until your donations meet mine dollar for dollar, I'll shit in my $900 toilet without remorse.

    /rant over

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia outlaws microchip implants: "Just imagine having a beeper in your rectum and your beeper numbers displayed on billboards throughout the city."

Well, that bill passed, the one from Georgia "so as to prohibit requiring a person to be implanted with a microchip," Senate Bill 235 . At least it made its way through the House Judiciary Committee, anyway, next stop the House Rules Committee that decides whether it moves on to the full House vote and (fingers crossed) final passage. I'd think it probably should, taking into account the compelling testimony brought up at this last hearing, from some fat lady about why non-consensual chipping should be made against the law. There she described in detail her own personal experience, with being implanted against her druthers: "I'm also one of the people in Georgia who has a microchip," she began. ("Also one?" There's more of them there?) She went on about the specific disadvantages, how it violates one's "right to work without being tortured by co-workers who are activating these microchips by using their cell phones and other electro

I Think

I think I'm bored blogging. I think I'm done with it. I think what's the point? I think you should check out my blogroll instead. I think they say stuff better anyway.

Hung on the Cross

So what, I'm not very mature for my age. I don't care, I'm easily amused because of it, and I enjoy being amused. Like this picture of a crucifix which was hoisted a couple of months ago above the main altar at the St. Charles Borromeo Catholic church in Oklahoma: I can come up with lots of hilariously inappropriate captions here, some that even I am embarrassed to admit thinking up, despite my unabashed crudity. I would share but probably everyone else is too sophisticated to see the humor. Plus, I really don't want to go to Hell. I'm guessing that there are an awful lot of Okie parishioners down there at the church where this is hung for real, who I reckon wouldn't appreciate my sense of humor about it, either. They are, in general, hugely offended by it instead, because they see nothing funny whatsoever about displaying Jesus' ginormous penis in church, not in the least bit! Seems as though this has caused quite a "deep divide" among members o