Skip to main content

Watch Your Step

"Abut" means to border on, like something siding up next to your property that isn't your own and that you have really nothing to do with whatsoever. It ain't yours to have to deal with. Unless you happen to live here in my neck of the woods.

Not so uncommon elsewhere either, at least that's what the powers that be claim. Like when the curb at the street in front of your house that the city cast or that public sidewalk poured alongside, if they start requiring some maintenance because of sinking or crumbling or whatnot then ownership apparently gets passed off to you the abutted homeowner. Not only to have to deal with, but even obligated to fix it up on your own dime. City ordinance says so.

This local guy recently called in to report that the sidewalk in front of his house was sinking and asked for them to make the repairs. Believe me, it's not uncommon some pretty hazardous walkways around here, I've tripped up many times but that could just be me.

Anyway, not a problem. They said they'd be happy to take care of it, evidently they have a crew to handle such things ... and that the guy who called it in living there would also have to foot the bill. What?

But turns out that the code mandates property owners keep the sidewalks and even curbs abutting their property in good repair. Even though they belong to the city, except I guess until things go bad.

They're both fucked up, the sidewalks and the rules around here.

Apparently because the public pathway out in front of my house is my onus to resolve, which I never knew until now, I wonder if I can start taking to court the dozens of daily passersby for their blatant trespassing. Wouldn't be prudent, probably, mostly just a red flag pointing out my having been lax about my civic duty to fix up the city's previous shoddy workmanship. It is in pretty bad shape.

Stupid shit, I know. But this pisses me off, it really does.

Comments

  1. Wow, that sidewalk in the pic is a trip. "Trip." Hey, wouldn't that be considered a pun? I am more clever than I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in Indiana with this law. If somebody slipped on your unsalted or unshoveld sidewalk---to court ye go. Out here in Seattle, people think I'm crazy. NOBODY does a damn thing to care for their sidewalk, or buts, HOWEVER, we get ALL worked up over trees. United states my abut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thing is, they're not our sidewalks to even care for anyway. i failed to mention that there has also been this recent campaign around here for the cops ticketing people parked in their own driveways of the vehicle happens to block in any way the sidewalk, because it is city and public property. unless of course i guess it's sinking or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "If somebody slipped on your unsalted or unshoveld sidewalk---to court ye go"


    That's how it is here in New York State.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia outlaws microchip implants: "Just imagine having a beeper in your rectum and your beeper numbers displayed on billboards throughout the city."

Well, that bill passed, the one from Georgia "so as to prohibit requiring a person to be implanted with a microchip," Senate Bill 235 . At least it made its way through the House Judiciary Committee, anyway, next stop the House Rules Committee that decides whether it moves on to the full House vote and (fingers crossed) final passage. I'd think it probably should, taking into account the compelling testimony brought up at this last hearing, from some fat lady about why non-consensual chipping should be made against the law. There she described in detail her own personal experience, with being implanted against her druthers: "I'm also one of the people in Georgia who has a microchip," she began. ("Also one?" There's more of them there?) She went on about the specific disadvantages, how it violates one's "right to work without being tortured by co-workers who are activating these microchips by using their cell phones and other electro

I Think

I think I'm bored blogging. I think I'm done with it. I think what's the point? I think you should check out my blogroll instead. I think they say stuff better anyway.

Hung on the Cross

So what, I'm not very mature for my age. I don't care, I'm easily amused because of it, and I enjoy being amused. Like this picture of a crucifix which was hoisted a couple of months ago above the main altar at the St. Charles Borromeo Catholic church in Oklahoma: I can come up with lots of hilariously inappropriate captions here, some that even I am embarrassed to admit thinking up, despite my unabashed crudity. I would share but probably everyone else is too sophisticated to see the humor. Plus, I really don't want to go to Hell. I'm guessing that there are an awful lot of Okie parishioners down there at the church where this is hung for real, who I reckon wouldn't appreciate my sense of humor about it, either. They are, in general, hugely offended by it instead, because they see nothing funny whatsoever about displaying Jesus' ginormous penis in church, not in the least bit! Seems as though this has caused quite a "deep divide" among members o