Skip to main content

Fourth of July Dud

Not feeling so patriotic this weekend despite all the fireworks hullabaloo. Last night was more scary than not, really. Just sounded like maybe a busier than normal night in the 'hood around here.

Gunshots and firecrackers sound remarkably similar, FYI.

So I spent a lot of my time ducking, better safe than sorry. I do hope that whatever advantageous mayhem the holiday may have elicited is over and done with. Not to mention that it was plain annoying.

And those "big event fireworks displays" trumpeted about town all week here ... yeah, I caught a few of those live coverages on the local news. Lame, lame, and lamer still. At least I gave it a shot.

Seems to me there really wasn't so much to celebrate this Fourth of July, all things considered, what with this intended to be our annual orgiastic blowout in honor of the greatness of all things America!

What a farce these last few years, each one more so than the last.

Rather than those danged noisy fireworks, yesterday should have been designated, as perfectly said in this article by Chris Satullo, "a day of quiet and atonement. For we have sinned."

Kudos, too, for pointing out how the atrocities of this Bush administration mirror the sort of abuses that "once were committed by the arrogant crowns of Europe, spawning rebellion."

Yep, that would be the reason why we all ended up over here on this side of the pond in the first place, if memory serves.

So where are today's rebels, and why is there no rising up against the arrogance of this our twenty-first century King George?
"[W]hen a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government ..."
Courtesy of the Declaration of Independence there. Oh well.

Maybe we are all in this mess because it's true that far too few really give a damn, and maybe also true that we do get what we deserve.

Or I could just be cranky because nobody invited me over for burgers and beer yesterday. I don't know. Either way, the day was still a dud.

Comments

  1. Always a dud for me.

    Not into this "holiday." Just a bunch of noise.

    I agree...bullets and firecrackers sound exactly the same.

    Last night, the 5th, we still had "noise."

    Had to count the "shots." When it hit 25, I had to assume, "Yeah, more firecrackers."

    We always have people who I guess have left overs...and we have to listen to more on the 5th.

    Yeah, no invite for burgers here either...ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have the leftovers of the combustible type going on here, too. And it's Sunday night. I'll just be glad when the weekend is over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doug, how did your dogs handle the fireworks? Mine was scared out of her mind. I like the big ones that the businesses put on around here. I never cared for firecrackers and things that just make loud noise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In past years, Roy has always been afraid of the fireworks and stuff, but he's always been afraid of thunder, too. Some Rottweiler he is! Always in either case getting right up next to me whether on the couch, in bed whatever. This year, he seemed totally oblivious to even the loud bomb-like things that were going off around here, but I've also noticed lately (we've had tons of storms) he doesn't seem to bother with the thunder so much either. Happened suddenly, I think he's getting deaf in his old age or something. I'll blame Bush for that, too, why the hell not? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had a kick ass large German Shepherd, crashed through our glass kitchen door, after a burglar, jumped the tall fench we thought was keeping him in, we yelled for him "Wolf!" he comes back bloodied with a mouthful of coat and hops over the fench like it was a toad, but when it thundered? He dove under the couch and stayed there, shaking, until it passed. Go figure. Glad I'm not only one who wasn't feeling proud this 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dog barks at the thunder. She's also afraid of the smoke alarm.
    LOL @ blaming Bush.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wolf and Roy appear to be like-minded, I like that. I can see Roy with a mouthful of coat, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia outlaws microchip implants: "Just imagine having a beeper in your rectum and your beeper numbers displayed on billboards throughout the city."

Well, that bill passed, the one from Georgia "so as to prohibit requiring a person to be implanted with a microchip," Senate Bill 235 . At least it made its way through the House Judiciary Committee, anyway, next stop the House Rules Committee that decides whether it moves on to the full House vote and (fingers crossed) final passage. I'd think it probably should, taking into account the compelling testimony brought up at this last hearing, from some fat lady about why non-consensual chipping should be made against the law. There she described in detail her own personal experience, with being implanted against her druthers: "I'm also one of the people in Georgia who has a microchip," she began. ("Also one?" There's more of them there?) She went on about the specific disadvantages, how it violates one's "right to work without being tortured by co-workers who are activating these microchips by using their cell phones and other electro

I Think

I think I'm bored blogging. I think I'm done with it. I think what's the point? I think you should check out my blogroll instead. I think they say stuff better anyway.

Hung on the Cross

So what, I'm not very mature for my age. I don't care, I'm easily amused because of it, and I enjoy being amused. Like this picture of a crucifix which was hoisted a couple of months ago above the main altar at the St. Charles Borromeo Catholic church in Oklahoma: I can come up with lots of hilariously inappropriate captions here, some that even I am embarrassed to admit thinking up, despite my unabashed crudity. I would share but probably everyone else is too sophisticated to see the humor. Plus, I really don't want to go to Hell. I'm guessing that there are an awful lot of Okie parishioners down there at the church where this is hung for real, who I reckon wouldn't appreciate my sense of humor about it, either. They are, in general, hugely offended by it instead, because they see nothing funny whatsoever about displaying Jesus' ginormous penis in church, not in the least bit! Seems as though this has caused quite a "deep divide" among members o