Skip to main content

Move To Trash

So over the weekend I finally got around to tackling my email inbox. I know I have an assload of storage but really ... five thousand two hundred and forty five? I'm kind of ashamed admitting that that is what was still needing to be banged away at after I had already half-heartedly given it a go here and there over the previous few days.

Mostly not spam, either. Gmail is really pretty good about catching that stuff and what few do slip through I usually delete straight away. I'm just an e-hoarder and things clearly had gotten out of hand.

Did I really need to be hanging on to TUT's Adventurers Club (where philosophy meets adventure) Subject - Welcome Supercoolhappylovething!? Why the hell did I ever go there anyhow to sign up getting periodic "notes from the Universe"? Apparently I must have been in a different place back then in 2006.

And I swear to God I do not recall ever signing up to receive special offers and new release bulletins from Naughty Flixxx but I'm pretty sure I must have. They really don't have that spam factor, sleaze maybe but the more respectable sort, and I have perused the adult section of the Interweb from time to time so ... most likely one of those sneaky opt-out versus opt-in sign up things and it has gone on for a few years running now.

Keeping too, messages from friends with the best of intentions gone awry, just because I found them amusing. But I'll never page back through to read them again, why am I still hanging on? This is a gem I discovered over the weekend, but I would never have remembered it had I not gone purging.
We Are Praying For You!

"Dear ____________ [insert friend's name],

____________________ [insert name of person sending prayer request] has asked us to pray for you and to share the following message (if space appears empty, a personal message was not included):

[space for personal message from friend]"
I think that's funny. Anyway, most all of the clutter is gone now though, ticked and deleted, and I really do feel freed up. On the other hand, all those pages of now disappeared correspondence sent straight to ME I guess were a sort of stroking my ego, and I do feel maybe a little bit less important now. Of course I needed to do it, and what's done is done. If only I can keep tidy now I'll be in good shape.

Riddle me this, though. Why come when you "sign up now!" to receive your daily/weekly/monthly e-newsletters from this or the other site, you can't open your email fast enough to beat the welcome-to and first issue already waiting there, but unsubscribe and you are advised that it will take 5-7 days before they can get you off the list? Someone really should come up with an app for that.

Comments

  1. I signed up for "word of the day" a few years ago. My children are then challenged to use the word throughout the day. Now I'm going to go back to my mail to see if I sent you that...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you shitting me?? THAT MANY EMAILS?? Doug, look in the mirror and repeat after me, "I, Doug, am an email hoarder." The healing will begin. hahahahahaha
    I would go insane with that much clutter, I would select and delete all. (I refuse to sign up for stuff or subscribe.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Diane ... I have a problem, or had one, but the healing has indeed begun. I feel so free now! It was pathetic, eh? 5,000 emails and counting, sad sad.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia outlaws microchip implants: "Just imagine having a beeper in your rectum and your beeper numbers displayed on billboards throughout the city."

Well, that bill passed, the one from Georgia "so as to prohibit requiring a person to be implanted with a microchip," Senate Bill 235 . At least it made its way through the House Judiciary Committee, anyway, next stop the House Rules Committee that decides whether it moves on to the full House vote and (fingers crossed) final passage. I'd think it probably should, taking into account the compelling testimony brought up at this last hearing, from some fat lady about why non-consensual chipping should be made against the law. There she described in detail her own personal experience, with being implanted against her druthers: "I'm also one of the people in Georgia who has a microchip," she began. ("Also one?" There's more of them there?) She went on about the specific disadvantages, how it violates one's "right to work without being tortured by co-workers who are activating these microchips by using their cell phones and other electro

I Think

I think I'm bored blogging. I think I'm done with it. I think what's the point? I think you should check out my blogroll instead. I think they say stuff better anyway.

Hung on the Cross

So what, I'm not very mature for my age. I don't care, I'm easily amused because of it, and I enjoy being amused. Like this picture of a crucifix which was hoisted a couple of months ago above the main altar at the St. Charles Borromeo Catholic church in Oklahoma: I can come up with lots of hilariously inappropriate captions here, some that even I am embarrassed to admit thinking up, despite my unabashed crudity. I would share but probably everyone else is too sophisticated to see the humor. Plus, I really don't want to go to Hell. I'm guessing that there are an awful lot of Okie parishioners down there at the church where this is hung for real, who I reckon wouldn't appreciate my sense of humor about it, either. They are, in general, hugely offended by it instead, because they see nothing funny whatsoever about displaying Jesus' ginormous penis in church, not in the least bit! Seems as though this has caused quite a "deep divide" among members o