Skip to main content

Looking For Angels

I had every intention of being a good boy and darkening a church door this morning. I really did. I occasionally have such inclinations, usually toward the end of the day Saturday while under the influence of a cocktail or twenty.

Come Sunday morning, however, inevitably my more sensible and sober mind realizes that to do so would necessitate actually getting out of the bed. Needless to say, I haven't been to church in years.

Sanity reigned supreme yet again this morning, so I slept in and opted rather to glean my spiritual edification from a listen to some of my Christian music playlists, on a more convenient and postponed schedule.

Skillet, a most excellent Christian rock group that I had not considered for quite some time, was first up on the list today. And this particular song, Looking For Angels, has ever since been stuck in my head. Christians with conscience, who knew?

As the song asks, when will we realize we've been desensitized by the lies of the world? We're oppressed and impressed by the greedy, whose hands squeeze the life out of the needy. When will we learn that wars and threats and regrets are the cause and effect of living in fear?

Losing our dignity and hope for fear of danger ... we need more than this. Indeed. Now, that's my kind of sermon. Amen!

Skillet - Looking For Angels

Comments

  1. Doug, your wording totally reminded me of Bill and Ted's excellent adventure. It was most triumphant of you. I never seek out Christian music, but this sounds pretty cool and alternative. I do own one CD-it fooled me when "Flood" was played on a rock station; Jars of Clay is also "a most excellent Christian rock group."
    Hope you have a good week. I've been watching my 11 month old niece while her parents are in Hawaii(2 weeks) and I LOVE it! The hard part is non-religious me has to keep Kosher for her(ha).

    Bill: Be excellent to each other.
    Ted: Party on, dudes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Party on, Auntie Erika! I'm not a really big fan of Jars of Clay, but I did like Flood. There's this one Christian rock group you'd probably like (I only know two of their songs) but one in particular is called "What Do You Want From Me?" by a group called Rehab. Only video I found after sifting thru all the Amy Winehouse is a poor live version. The studio version of the song, though, rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit I'm not a fan Christian rock and Contemporary Gospel. I'm more old school. Unfortunately for me, we have about 3 new Christian rock stations on my local radio. I liked Creed, I heard they were sort of Christian rock.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia outlaws microchip implants: "Just imagine having a beeper in your rectum and your beeper numbers displayed on billboards throughout the city."

Well, that bill passed, the one from Georgia "so as to prohibit requiring a person to be implanted with a microchip," Senate Bill 235 . At least it made its way through the House Judiciary Committee, anyway, next stop the House Rules Committee that decides whether it moves on to the full House vote and (fingers crossed) final passage. I'd think it probably should, taking into account the compelling testimony brought up at this last hearing, from some fat lady about why non-consensual chipping should be made against the law. There she described in detail her own personal experience, with being implanted against her druthers: "I'm also one of the people in Georgia who has a microchip," she began. ("Also one?" There's more of them there?) She went on about the specific disadvantages, how it violates one's "right to work without being tortured by co-workers who are activating these microchips by using their cell phones and other electro

I Think

I think I'm bored blogging. I think I'm done with it. I think what's the point? I think you should check out my blogroll instead. I think they say stuff better anyway.

Hung on the Cross

So what, I'm not very mature for my age. I don't care, I'm easily amused because of it, and I enjoy being amused. Like this picture of a crucifix which was hoisted a couple of months ago above the main altar at the St. Charles Borromeo Catholic church in Oklahoma: I can come up with lots of hilariously inappropriate captions here, some that even I am embarrassed to admit thinking up, despite my unabashed crudity. I would share but probably everyone else is too sophisticated to see the humor. Plus, I really don't want to go to Hell. I'm guessing that there are an awful lot of Okie parishioners down there at the church where this is hung for real, who I reckon wouldn't appreciate my sense of humor about it, either. They are, in general, hugely offended by it instead, because they see nothing funny whatsoever about displaying Jesus' ginormous penis in church, not in the least bit! Seems as though this has caused quite a "deep divide" among members o