Skip to main content

Yoo and Bybee, Poor Judgment Indeed

You might think the George W. Bush administration's hijacked Justice Department is still under appointment, what with the final word coming down from there this past Friday about Bush's former Department attorneys John Yoo and Jay Bybee.

Seems the verdict is that the pair of them, who concocted the "Torture Memo" on behalf of the administration toward the beginning of Bush's wartime reign, really did not misconduct themselves professionally after all, as had been the first findings by the Office of Professional Responsibility; that might have meant disbarment.

Instead, the two lawyering hacks only exercised "poor judgment" in writing up and signing off on the official memoranda granting limitless authority to President Bush, overriding whatever bothersome domestic and international laws that might otherwise occlude a presidential wartime notion.

The memo accorded Bush the okey-doke to order torture (felony), declare war on a whim anytime, anywhere, on anyone for any reason (banned), to conduct unauthorized wiretaps of U.S. citizens (Fourth Amendment violation, I don't care how you spin it). Also under this umbrella of exemptions, permission granted to randomly abduct whomever for whyever, bringing them to secret places to be dealt with secretly.

Not that much of that was very new, of course, but Mr. Yoo's authorship of the official memo, and Mr. Bybee's signing off on it, sanctioning the powers-that-be (albeit in cahoots with and with input from the higher-ups, covering ass) to carry forth such war crimes unaffected, should probably result in some sort of criminal culpability, other than deeming it simply a case of bad judgment.

United States v. Altstötter, the Nuremberg Trials: there were tried those justices who wrote up similar legislative memos for the Third Reich, spurred on by Hitler and his cronies, giving the magisterial thumbs-up conceding Hitler's authority to pooh-pooh international law, too.

They, though, were not so easily let off the hook because of so much bad judgment. Nope, they were convicted of conspiracy to commit war crimes and crimes against humanity: war crimes against civilians of territories occupied by Germany and against soldiers of countries at war with them; and crimes against humanity, against German civilians and nationals of occupied territories.

Different führer, different lackeys, maybe, but tantamount to the state of affairs from back then, in my opinion. The two of them, Yoo and Bybee, alongside their co-conspirators in the White House and the Justice Department, rightly should be held accountable for the same atrocities by the same standards applied at Nuremberg.

It won't happen, of course; so much for judicial precedent. Indubitably it follows that if these guys are let off having their feet held to the fire about what they were responsible for having done, the likelihood of the first-string ever being on the hook for even more grievous criminal misbehavior is nil. Taking that option off the table, now there is some serious poor judgment.

Comments

  1. Excellent post! You must be trying to get me to use some four letter words. I was so pissed when I heard this on Countdown. How much you want to bet if a Democrats authorized torture, got us into illegal war, engaged in illegal spying, that the Republicans wouldn't go after them. They went after Clinton for far less. How can we go out into the world and call out other counties for their inhumane treatment of their citizens when we let these guys off the hook? This is so wrong.. It really is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clearly I agree. I must have missed the call asking for my opinion, or they wouldn't have gotten off so easily.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia outlaws microchip implants: "Just imagine having a beeper in your rectum and your beeper numbers displayed on billboards throughout the city."

Well, that bill passed, the one from Georgia "so as to prohibit requiring a person to be implanted with a microchip," Senate Bill 235 . At least it made its way through the House Judiciary Committee, anyway, next stop the House Rules Committee that decides whether it moves on to the full House vote and (fingers crossed) final passage. I'd think it probably should, taking into account the compelling testimony brought up at this last hearing, from some fat lady about why non-consensual chipping should be made against the law. There she described in detail her own personal experience, with being implanted against her druthers: "I'm also one of the people in Georgia who has a microchip," she began. ("Also one?" There's more of them there?) She went on about the specific disadvantages, how it violates one's "right to work without being tortured by co-workers who are activating these microchips by using their cell phones and other electro

I Think

I think I'm bored blogging. I think I'm done with it. I think what's the point? I think you should check out my blogroll instead. I think they say stuff better anyway.

Hung on the Cross

So what, I'm not very mature for my age. I don't care, I'm easily amused because of it, and I enjoy being amused. Like this picture of a crucifix which was hoisted a couple of months ago above the main altar at the St. Charles Borromeo Catholic church in Oklahoma: I can come up with lots of hilariously inappropriate captions here, some that even I am embarrassed to admit thinking up, despite my unabashed crudity. I would share but probably everyone else is too sophisticated to see the humor. Plus, I really don't want to go to Hell. I'm guessing that there are an awful lot of Okie parishioners down there at the church where this is hung for real, who I reckon wouldn't appreciate my sense of humor about it, either. They are, in general, hugely offended by it instead, because they see nothing funny whatsoever about displaying Jesus' ginormous penis in church, not in the least bit! Seems as though this has caused quite a "deep divide" among members o