Skip to main content

Blind Eyes, Seeing God Clearly

The other day I left this comment, mostly pointless to the original blogger's post, you know how things digress sometimes: "I once worked with a blind lady, she had no eyes, and one morning she came into the break room and said, 'I can't even see straight until I have my cup of coffee.' She also had a TV in her office, go figure." I forgot to mention in commenting, that she also wore eyeglasses...

Got me thinking, though, about my time working there at Unity Village (especially how I should never have left for so many reasons, but I will spare you all that), and Kimberly Morrow in particular, the blind one in for the cup o' joe. Specifically, a certain article she wrote back then for one of the magazines I worked on at the time, Daily Word.

Here's part of Kimberly's article, although it's a puzzler to me why I hesitate swiping it, since I seldom have qualms pilfering others' stuff (excepting that one time from Martha Stewart, but she's a scary bitch so that was different). I reckon Unity can take me down for it, but until then maybe it will manage to reach some who otherwise might never have read this, because it's well worth reading.
I See God Clearly

"At age 35, I consider myself to have been blessed with a life that has already been wonderful beyond all measure. I have had the privilege of acquiring a good education: I graduated from a large, suburban high school and went on to earn bachelor's and master's degrees and a Ph.D. I have been gifted with a tremendous 'cheering section' of family and friends.

"I have had the privilege of seeing God clearly from a unique vantage point few others are fortunate enough to share. I have never seen the mountains, but can well appreciate the struggle of the climb. When I scan a document in braille, I have the extraordinary sensation of truly being physically touched by the power of words. Listening to a friend reading a text aloud to me, I revel in my narrator's words. The basic elements of his or her true character inevitably take center stage through the distinct interpretations that spring forth from the tone, quality and inflection of a well-modulated voice. The textures and shapes of stones and seashells, the tides of the ocean, the smell of freshly mowed grass, and the songs of unseen birds fill me with a sense of wonder and mystery. All comprise remarkable pictures of nature that I believe are every bit as vivid to me as are rainbows, skies and sunsets to those who are sighted.

"Perhaps the most rewarding aspect of living in the nonvisual world is the fact that certain judgments that have become all too commonplace in the everyday lives of most seeing people rarely enter my awareness. I can know an acquaintance for months, have a cup of coffee and sit directly across from that person, or take his or her hand in mine and never have an inkling of the race or ethnicity of the person with whom I am sharing a portion of my life's journey. 'Foreign' accents are simply another element of interesting, nonvisual texture in my auditory landscape.

"I will never in my life comprehend the reasons why the mere color of one's skin or one's nation of origin has caused barriers to be erected throughout the course of history.

"On a daily basis, I rely on others to describe the moon and stars, sun and clouds – things I have never seen but that I know perfectly well are present. And just as I have always taken these elements of nature for granted, so have I also taken for granted the existence of a higher being in the universe. The presence of God is simply one more thing I have never seen but which I can sense in every fiber of my being.

"My existence is also devoid of the visual images that often accompany humankind's concept of God. It is amazing to me that, while we are outwardly visual creatures, gaining about 80 percent of our sensory information by means of sight, we build temples, sing to and about, create religious dogma, and worship a Being we have never seen.

"The experience of spirituality in general is one in which we may focus on physical healing, but God heals in other ways also. There is healing of the mind and soul too – a healing from the inside out. Even though I am not what many would call physically healed, I have been healed in other ways and been given so many other gifts. God has healed me by giving me a type of sight – insight.

"Although being blind comes with its fair share of trivial inconveniences, and although there is much in the world that will always remain a mystery to me, I can state with complete conviction that I would not trade my life for that of anyone else. To have been bestowed with vision beyond vision is an experience that defies description. I see God clearly, and when it comes right down to it, what more could one truly wish for?"
Okay, so that is pretty much the whole article, I couldn't figure out where to snip it, it's all that good. I did, though, cut it short toward the end, so that I could finish with a "read more" link here, which you should really click through so that I don't get in trouble for not pointing back. Plus you can read about her guide dog Fern, who was awesome. Except for the poop outside; Kimberly Morrow couldn't see that so clearly as God, I guess, to pick up after.

Comments

  1. That is a very well written and moving article. When I was blind during the first years of my MS, I worked with a co-worker who said, "I would kill myself if I went blind." (A real sensitive guy.) Let me say: I had no spiritual awakening (I was already awake) no special senses (I already used them quite often.) no savant experience or greater appreciation of anything than before. AFTER I could see again, well, I NEVER glance at much, I look longer than I used to. I am glad I can see different skni shades, hair textures, disabilities, I love diversity. And maybe I am a inglorious bastard, but I had insight---pretty much because I gave things a lot of thought. PS--I worked with a blind woman who picked up her dog's poo and one day his VOMIT out of grass! Lights were on 1/for others or 2/for dog or 3/she forgot to turn thm off or didn't turn them on. What I am missing in your post is YOUR take on her article. Tv on, she still could hear. She had a good sense of humor too! (cup o J Lo, er Joe)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry, one more thing: When one is disabled, people presume you are into God. I got that a lot. Oh Oh Oh, one more (I promise) thing: OR they strongly believe you SHOULD be. (Oh Oh Oh, seriously, this is it! As Joe Jackson would say) AND being disabled trumps being gay. You are labeled disabled. I think they can't imagine how you could be gay, which means S E X to them, and disabled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. D-Ro,
    Thanks for sharing that with us. It was truly beautiful and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know of another lady who is blind, but that one has eyes and could sort of see so could pick up poo and such. Kimberly was born with no eyes at all! So I could overlook those piles. :) Probably shouldn't have since somehow she managed to always have perfect make-up and matching wardrobe... really it is amazing. I can't imagine even temporarily, like you with MS, being blind for any amount of time. Your "already there" spiritual awareness was probably a good thing to know how you would appreciate the diversity after, and with that perspective as well as Kimberly's who never has had that privilege, I just think the luckier ones of us could learn a lesson. Or maybe we're not the luckiest after all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe just 'cuz I knew her personally, I don't know, but I found it inspiring also. Glad however convoluted commenting on Sandy's QOTD led me to remember this, I was glad to be reminded.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia outlaws microchip implants: "Just imagine having a beeper in your rectum and your beeper numbers displayed on billboards throughout the city."

Well, that bill passed, the one from Georgia "so as to prohibit requiring a person to be implanted with a microchip," Senate Bill 235 . At least it made its way through the House Judiciary Committee, anyway, next stop the House Rules Committee that decides whether it moves on to the full House vote and (fingers crossed) final passage. I'd think it probably should, taking into account the compelling testimony brought up at this last hearing, from some fat lady about why non-consensual chipping should be made against the law. There she described in detail her own personal experience, with being implanted against her druthers: "I'm also one of the people in Georgia who has a microchip," she began. ("Also one?" There's more of them there?) She went on about the specific disadvantages, how it violates one's "right to work without being tortured by co-workers who are activating these microchips by using their cell phones and other electro

I Think

I think I'm bored blogging. I think I'm done with it. I think what's the point? I think you should check out my blogroll instead. I think they say stuff better anyway.

Hung on the Cross

So what, I'm not very mature for my age. I don't care, I'm easily amused because of it, and I enjoy being amused. Like this picture of a crucifix which was hoisted a couple of months ago above the main altar at the St. Charles Borromeo Catholic church in Oklahoma: I can come up with lots of hilariously inappropriate captions here, some that even I am embarrassed to admit thinking up, despite my unabashed crudity. I would share but probably everyone else is too sophisticated to see the humor. Plus, I really don't want to go to Hell. I'm guessing that there are an awful lot of Okie parishioners down there at the church where this is hung for real, who I reckon wouldn't appreciate my sense of humor about it, either. They are, in general, hugely offended by it instead, because they see nothing funny whatsoever about displaying Jesus' ginormous penis in church, not in the least bit! Seems as though this has caused quite a "deep divide" among members o