Skip to main content

Betty White "needs to start taking her relationship with God serious." Seriously?

I was one of those grassroots Facebook campaigners responsible for Betty White hosting Saturday Night Live the other night, so for that, let me just say: "You're very welcome!"

I thought she was fantastic, better even than I had expected she might be, and by most accounts her coming on the show was a huge success. Except for some, who apparently had more eternal concerns weighing on their minds, precluding enjoying it so much.

Like Jose, who while conceding that Betty White is legend "in this day and age of rebels and rockers" (I really don't know what that means, but it seems to be a good thing), is more concerned about her afterlife appearance instead, presumably being so old as she is. A legend, sure ...
"However, I think Betty really needs to start taking her relationship with God serious. Betty can't please this new generation, she has nothing to prove to them. Her relationship with the Lord is what she needs to take serious."
Well, all righty then. I found that rather presumptuous of Jose, conjecturing to somehow know the woman's relationship with the Almighty, and prescient to what lies ahead for her if she doesn't start taking it more seriously; sooner than later, at her age.

His comment might be one of the more stupid ones, certainly not germane to the article about her performance on the show. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that some of Betty's material might have been a bit too blue to pass Jose's own righteousness muster, to secure a spot for her in the heavenlies.

Don't know why some people can't just enjoy here and now without always being bothered with whatever hereafter fate awaits, especially for others' souls. Worry about your own forever if you want, but why fret so much about Betty's? It's just weird is all, not to mention a dumbass waste of time thinking about it.

If God has any sense of humor at all, Betty White is probably good to go, whenever she kicks it. Fogeys à la Jose need to get a life, one in the present (which is the only one we can be sure about, actually) and quit worrying so much about the one afterwards.

Bringing happy back, that surely must count for something in the vast scheme of all things eternal, I would think. It certainly counts for earth-time better spent than adjudging others' right standing (or not-so-right standing) with God, that's for sure. Live and let live, die and let die; meantime, enjoy the muffins ...

Comments

  1. Well, when you think about it, if your God is vindictive and angry it tends to make you a little paranoid. you could look at it this way: Jose is acting out of love, because he doesn't want to see his God fry such a cool and sweet little lady! It's warped I know, but it's how fundies think; I know I used to be one! The muffin clip was funny! I can say that without conditions because my God loves all his children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still thought the whole show was a little sucky, but Betty shinned in all her scenes. She was a joy to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betty White simply steals any scene she is in. Jose is making his brain go to God because he got a little worked up sexually over the muffin scene. BW is a PRO. Laugh and let laugh, I say. (Luv me some muffin right now.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ITA. I loved watching Betty, but I thought the writing wasn't up to par. I think SNL focused too much on the return of their former stars; I think it should have just been all about Betty. My fave part was Betty as a thrash metal rocker in the GG song skit.

    She always makes me think of her role in Lake Placid- feeding whole live cows to the giant crocodile-ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I realized after I re-read it that I should have pointed out, I know that Jose was probably making a sincere comment "acting out of love", my bad pouncing on him so much. Considering some of the replies to his comment, I hope he didn't read any of those, they were quite hateful! Which I did not intend to be, I was just using him as an example for the way fundies think, which makes no sense for how I perceive God. Whatever, what do I know? I'm gay, I'm going to hell anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't notice Betty's shins at all! :) No wonder Jose thought it was all a bit too risque.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right, I think... about the writing not being up to par. Personally I think I was just as happy for Betty being there, though, as for the old cast members that I overlooked it probably. I *love* the whole group they brought back, and I think that having them all throughout, and using Betty White a LOT covered a multitude of sins as far as the writing.

    Had forgotten about Lake Placid.. so much for animal rights gig!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Luv me some muffin right now.".......... TMI, Diane! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, to be honest, I was being somewhat sarcastic. I really feel like that was a jerk statement for him to make, and I don't believe for a moment God will send you to hell because of your sexual orientation!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia outlaws microchip implants: "Just imagine having a beeper in your rectum and your beeper numbers displayed on billboards throughout the city."

Well, that bill passed, the one from Georgia "so as to prohibit requiring a person to be implanted with a microchip," Senate Bill 235 . At least it made its way through the House Judiciary Committee, anyway, next stop the House Rules Committee that decides whether it moves on to the full House vote and (fingers crossed) final passage. I'd think it probably should, taking into account the compelling testimony brought up at this last hearing, from some fat lady about why non-consensual chipping should be made against the law. There she described in detail her own personal experience, with being implanted against her druthers: "I'm also one of the people in Georgia who has a microchip," she began. ("Also one?" There's more of them there?) She went on about the specific disadvantages, how it violates one's "right to work without being tortured by co-workers who are activating these microchips by using their cell phones and other electro

I Think

I think I'm bored blogging. I think I'm done with it. I think what's the point? I think you should check out my blogroll instead. I think they say stuff better anyway.

Hung on the Cross

So what, I'm not very mature for my age. I don't care, I'm easily amused because of it, and I enjoy being amused. Like this picture of a crucifix which was hoisted a couple of months ago above the main altar at the St. Charles Borromeo Catholic church in Oklahoma: I can come up with lots of hilariously inappropriate captions here, some that even I am embarrassed to admit thinking up, despite my unabashed crudity. I would share but probably everyone else is too sophisticated to see the humor. Plus, I really don't want to go to Hell. I'm guessing that there are an awful lot of Okie parishioners down there at the church where this is hung for real, who I reckon wouldn't appreciate my sense of humor about it, either. They are, in general, hugely offended by it instead, because they see nothing funny whatsoever about displaying Jesus' ginormous penis in church, not in the least bit! Seems as though this has caused quite a "deep divide" among members o