Skip to main content

Tweet Dragged Out

"#WTF @451Press still publishing, getting paid for, removed my name as author of ...MY old content there. I have no access to stop it.."

Difficult to express pissed-offedness in 140 or less but trust me, I am not a happy camper. Up until sometime early on in 2008, I was the writer of the Current Events blog for the 451 Press network.

I knew this part seemed screwy when I signed on with them: the agreement was that if and when I might leave 451 Press they could continue on using my content forever (for free of course), but that I'd still get byline credit. So I figured I was all right with that. Maybe not so much thrilled, but all right.

It was kind of frustrating after I did leave, I'll admit, continuing getting Google alerts via email of traffic to my old posts, a reminder that my content was still putting coin in someone else's pocket rather than mine. That persists to this day, the alerts, but I've grudgingly lived with it. At least my stuff is still getting read, and isn't that really the reason for why we write?

Until today when I happened across this article at The Writer's Well (I'm a few months late finding this out, but whatever) pointing out that 451 Press has "closed its doors as a paying blog network" and that they have left "all articles online from past authors, removed author access to the articles so the authors can't remove them, and taken all author names off of the article".

The bold part is mine. The bold part is what pisses me off most. The bold part is what violates the original agreement we had then; a contract which now I would very much enjoy the chance to boldly shove up past president Steve Shickles' ass.

Our stuff, still out there, presumably continues lining his pockets with the ad revenue coming in from what we former writers contributed, without so much as allowing for acknowledgment of us to whom the credit is due. Pisses me off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia outlaws microchip implants: "Just imagine having a beeper in your rectum and your beeper numbers displayed on billboards throughout the city."

Well, that bill passed, the one from Georgia "so as to prohibit requiring a person to be implanted with a microchip," Senate Bill 235 . At least it made its way through the House Judiciary Committee, anyway, next stop the House Rules Committee that decides whether it moves on to the full House vote and (fingers crossed) final passage. I'd think it probably should, taking into account the compelling testimony brought up at this last hearing, from some fat lady about why non-consensual chipping should be made against the law. There she described in detail her own personal experience, with being implanted against her druthers: "I'm also one of the people in Georgia who has a microchip," she began. ("Also one?" There's more of them there?) She went on about the specific disadvantages, how it violates one's "right to work without being tortured by co-workers who are activating these microchips by using their cell phones and other electro

I Think

I think I'm bored blogging. I think I'm done with it. I think what's the point? I think you should check out my blogroll instead. I think they say stuff better anyway.

Hung on the Cross

So what, I'm not very mature for my age. I don't care, I'm easily amused because of it, and I enjoy being amused. Like this picture of a crucifix which was hoisted a couple of months ago above the main altar at the St. Charles Borromeo Catholic church in Oklahoma: I can come up with lots of hilariously inappropriate captions here, some that even I am embarrassed to admit thinking up, despite my unabashed crudity. I would share but probably everyone else is too sophisticated to see the humor. Plus, I really don't want to go to Hell. I'm guessing that there are an awful lot of Okie parishioners down there at the church where this is hung for real, who I reckon wouldn't appreciate my sense of humor about it, either. They are, in general, hugely offended by it instead, because they see nothing funny whatsoever about displaying Jesus' ginormous penis in church, not in the least bit! Seems as though this has caused quite a "deep divide" among members o