Skip to main content

SOTU Giddiness

I had to give it an overnight rest to let pass the euphoria that I get whenever Obama talks to me. Had to let it wear off before I could process objectively about his State of the Union address last night.

I already admitted that I knew it would happen, no matter my disappointment lately, once he did that thing he does so well when he opens up his mouth to speak. I had expected to get all giddy again, and I did.

Frankly, I suppose I can't help but be biased still, but not only was the speech delivered with his regular panache, I think it did good tagging all the stuff that should have been tagged. Despite some thinking it was too much of a mashup of affairs ("they had decided to serve up a buffet of all of it" so thinks Politico"), I would suppose that if it had not, he would have been beaten up for being too à la carte.

Really, he had no choice but to bring it all up, though. I mean, a year ago he did come to the table with an already full plate of less-than-savory leftovers to nosh on. Looking back on it, he admitted last night that he had eyes bigger than his stomach back then, but also that he had at least given it his best shot and is still committed to working at finishing it off.

Most of the blame he put off on those that have been late to serve it up in a timely manner, that stodgy and pigheaded one side of the room. But honestly, what did he expect to happen? Campaign rhetoric of sweeping change is one thing, pushing through all of what he sweared to do was obviously more than he had bargained for.

He did confess as much, humbly acknowledging his own missing of some of the marks so far, but also resolutely commited to hanging tough to his game plan to still win at the end so many points, albeit going into overtime.

I thought that overall he pulled off one fantastic speech last night. Now, if come next year and he is still eating mostly crow, I might not get so tickled with him making excuses for why. Maybe starting out year two, though, with all of that romantic idealism gone, displaced with reality of how it really goes down, he won't be so inclined to promise in short order what surely will be a more long term process.

That should go a very long way toward stifling all of the flack he's been getting, particularly from us Democrats. For whatever reason, we have been just as dunderheaded as he was at the beginning, believing he really could work so many miracles practically yesterday.

Let's give back to the Republicans the job of making common sense objectives difficult to achieve, and again get behind the president we one time believed would make things different for the better. Just like at the first, our mantra, "Yes, we can!" Only this time, paying more attention to the "we" part. Then by next year maybe at least fewer apologies might be necessary, and I can get giddy all over again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia outlaws microchip implants: "Just imagine having a beeper in your rectum and your beeper numbers displayed on billboards throughout the city."

Well, that bill passed, the one from Georgia "so as to prohibit requiring a person to be implanted with a microchip," Senate Bill 235 . At least it made its way through the House Judiciary Committee, anyway, next stop the House Rules Committee that decides whether it moves on to the full House vote and (fingers crossed) final passage. I'd think it probably should, taking into account the compelling testimony brought up at this last hearing, from some fat lady about why non-consensual chipping should be made against the law. There she described in detail her own personal experience, with being implanted against her druthers: "I'm also one of the people in Georgia who has a microchip," she began. ("Also one?" There's more of them there?) She went on about the specific disadvantages, how it violates one's "right to work without being tortured by co-workers who are activating these microchips by using their cell phones and other electro

I Think

I think I'm bored blogging. I think I'm done with it. I think what's the point? I think you should check out my blogroll instead. I think they say stuff better anyway.

Hung on the Cross

So what, I'm not very mature for my age. I don't care, I'm easily amused because of it, and I enjoy being amused. Like this picture of a crucifix which was hoisted a couple of months ago above the main altar at the St. Charles Borromeo Catholic church in Oklahoma: I can come up with lots of hilariously inappropriate captions here, some that even I am embarrassed to admit thinking up, despite my unabashed crudity. I would share but probably everyone else is too sophisticated to see the humor. Plus, I really don't want to go to Hell. I'm guessing that there are an awful lot of Okie parishioners down there at the church where this is hung for real, who I reckon wouldn't appreciate my sense of humor about it, either. They are, in general, hugely offended by it instead, because they see nothing funny whatsoever about displaying Jesus' ginormous penis in church, not in the least bit! Seems as though this has caused quite a "deep divide" among members o