Skip to main content

Getting Off, American Style

"It feels like the weight of the world has been lifted off his shoulders. Here's a guy that's a decorated war hero who we maintain should never have been charged in the first place," so says the lawyer for one of the five Blackwater guards gotten off scot free from mowing down 17 Iraqi civilians for no reason, back in 2007.

Stupid ass remark. Decorated or undecorated, war hero or antihero, since when that justified one beating the rap I don't know. Timothy McVeigh was a decorated war veteran, Bronze Star amongst other military bling, didn't seem to sanction absolution there. Vets gone bad, it happens, so that comment alone pissed me off. I digress.

Back to the letting off the whole of the Blackwater bad guys. In his ruling dismissing the case against them, the judge had nothing to say about the massacring they pulled off whatsoever. Instead he dropped the case on the grounds that the five had had their constitutional rights violated by being threatened with loss of their jobs if they did not confess to wrongful conduct to the federal investigators.

On one hand I get it, I see the judge's point, the rule of law. Leave it to our FUBAR government to give this one up. They had promised the guys outright that what they had to say would not be used against them in a criminal case, then turned the statements over as the foundation for prosecution. Of course, underhanded is not so unfamiliar to our officials, and it is hard to argue against what they did here clearly infringing the guys' Fifth Amendment rights.

On the other hand, I'm really bummed at them being let go like that, a legal technicality that with some smarts could have been avoided. Of course the Iraqis are furious and rightly so, mostly of course the relatives of the 17 who were popped off unprovoked by these US-staked-out Blackwater assholes. They probably expected justness after all from the consummate American legal process. Ah, those poor, pitiable, naïve Iraqis.

It already took more than two years finally, after the mightily armed Blackwater convoy crossed into a busy square in Baghdad, not following orders to stay in the US-controlled green zone, and opened fire with automatic weapons and grenade launchers on unarmed and unsuspecting women, children and men trying to get out of the way. Only now to have the charges irresponsibly dismissed.

The Iraqi government plans to not merely let this one go, and intends to pursue justice on this account. Although they have not elaborated on what steps they might have in mind, I'm guessing it's probably safe to bet on a somewhat opposite outcome. I would expect a rather harsh sentencing at some point, if only by decree and for whatever it's worth. I doubt very much that any of the five have a ramble through Baghdad on the itinerary for any time in the foreseeable future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia outlaws microchip implants: "Just imagine having a beeper in your rectum and your beeper numbers displayed on billboards throughout the city."

Well, that bill passed, the one from Georgia "so as to prohibit requiring a person to be implanted with a microchip," Senate Bill 235 . At least it made its way through the House Judiciary Committee, anyway, next stop the House Rules Committee that decides whether it moves on to the full House vote and (fingers crossed) final passage. I'd think it probably should, taking into account the compelling testimony brought up at this last hearing, from some fat lady about why non-consensual chipping should be made against the law. There she described in detail her own personal experience, with being implanted against her druthers: "I'm also one of the people in Georgia who has a microchip," she began. ("Also one?" There's more of them there?) She went on about the specific disadvantages, how it violates one's "right to work without being tortured by co-workers who are activating these microchips by using their cell phones and other electro

I Think

I think I'm bored blogging. I think I'm done with it. I think what's the point? I think you should check out my blogroll instead. I think they say stuff better anyway.

Hung on the Cross

So what, I'm not very mature for my age. I don't care, I'm easily amused because of it, and I enjoy being amused. Like this picture of a crucifix which was hoisted a couple of months ago above the main altar at the St. Charles Borromeo Catholic church in Oklahoma: I can come up with lots of hilariously inappropriate captions here, some that even I am embarrassed to admit thinking up, despite my unabashed crudity. I would share but probably everyone else is too sophisticated to see the humor. Plus, I really don't want to go to Hell. I'm guessing that there are an awful lot of Okie parishioners down there at the church where this is hung for real, who I reckon wouldn't appreciate my sense of humor about it, either. They are, in general, hugely offended by it instead, because they see nothing funny whatsoever about displaying Jesus' ginormous penis in church, not in the least bit! Seems as though this has caused quite a "deep divide" among members o