Skip to main content

Now and Then

1977 MG Midget
The 1977 MG Midget, in all of its glory 141 inches long, 60 inches wide and 48 inches tall ... seriously a tiny car. I had one, just like the one in this picture, and it was awesome! Lord only knows why other than for its undeniable cuteness I thought this might be a good idea, but thank God for temporary lapses in discernment.

I sat in it today and remembered how much a hoot it was way back when. It's still around and taking up space now in Mom's and Dad's barn, except for when they take it out for a spin around the countryside. It might be somewhat older and a bit worse for wear, but aren't we all? The MG still kickin' it probably better than some of us, me admittedly being one of that some.

Anyway, yeah. So I firstly hunkered down into the seat which seemed so much lower now than before. The getting in wasn't nearly so hard actually, I kind of just fell into it, as the struggle to get back up and out. The thing practically trails the road.

No joke, sitting in the car with the door open your knuckles scrape along the ground. It's just a toy, really, with its three lilliputian windscreen wipers I remember made me laugh the first time I flicked them on.

Long gone is the most excellent stereo and speaker system I enjoyed in yore, the speakers mounted in the only usable space smack dab behind the two seats. No more AC/DC Back in Black or Foghat Slow Ride blaring and unnerving anyone nearby or even not so near, me too deafened to hear the protesting. Just empty space there now.

So what it wasn't very practical. I think I bought it in 1980, when I would have been around eighteen at the time and who knows practical at that age? The thing is, being reminded of back then in such a tangible way made me kind of sad. I don't know what happens but somewhere in life's spacetime continuum you can't quite put your finger on, things shift without you even being aware.

Not necessarily always for the worse, but definitely for the different. I might be alright happy now, but I really miss the better happy back then, I truly do. My MG reminiscing made me wonder if I ought not make it a point to be more appreciative of the present, such as it is.

I have a feeling that if I'm around in another thirty years I might be thinking back to these my younger 40-something days of gladness, if by chance I then ever happen to have my baggy ass attended to sit in a 1998 Oldsmobile Achieva.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia outlaws microchip implants: "Just imagine having a beeper in your rectum and your beeper numbers displayed on billboards throughout the city."

Well, that bill passed, the one from Georgia "so as to prohibit requiring a person to be implanted with a microchip," Senate Bill 235 . At least it made its way through the House Judiciary Committee, anyway, next stop the House Rules Committee that decides whether it moves on to the full House vote and (fingers crossed) final passage. I'd think it probably should, taking into account the compelling testimony brought up at this last hearing, from some fat lady about why non-consensual chipping should be made against the law. There she described in detail her own personal experience, with being implanted against her druthers: "I'm also one of the people in Georgia who has a microchip," she began. ("Also one?" There's more of them there?) She went on about the specific disadvantages, how it violates one's "right to work without being tortured by co-workers who are activating these microchips by using their cell phones and other electro

I Think

I think I'm bored blogging. I think I'm done with it. I think what's the point? I think you should check out my blogroll instead. I think they say stuff better anyway.

Hung on the Cross

So what, I'm not very mature for my age. I don't care, I'm easily amused because of it, and I enjoy being amused. Like this picture of a crucifix which was hoisted a couple of months ago above the main altar at the St. Charles Borromeo Catholic church in Oklahoma: I can come up with lots of hilariously inappropriate captions here, some that even I am embarrassed to admit thinking up, despite my unabashed crudity. I would share but probably everyone else is too sophisticated to see the humor. Plus, I really don't want to go to Hell. I'm guessing that there are an awful lot of Okie parishioners down there at the church where this is hung for real, who I reckon wouldn't appreciate my sense of humor about it, either. They are, in general, hugely offended by it instead, because they see nothing funny whatsoever about displaying Jesus' ginormous penis in church, not in the least bit! Seems as though this has caused quite a "deep divide" among members o