Skip to main content

Homeland Stupidity

Hey, want to get pissed off? Come on, of course you do. Read on.

You know how we all feel so much safer now what with the fantastic Department of Homeland Security heading up all those agencies protecting us from terrorists and other scumbags who want to get in?

(Not to forget the genius behind that color-coded threat chart thingy. Excellent safety measure thought up there, and so pretty, too!)

But were you aware that some 83 immigrants have died (tallied thus far, anyway) while being detained by the DHS for interrogation? I had no idea, until I happened to be reading some of the deceased's post mortem stories today. Blood boiling and even scary.

This recent example, though, of border protection gone terribly awry is the one that most notably caught my attention and made my ears blow steam.

A brief synopsis of the sequence of events follows:
- Michael Tony Futi was born in January of this year at a hospital in American Samoa, by birthright an American national if not quite really a bonafide citizen.

- Mikey it turns out wasn't doing so well and was found to have a heart defect, so the hospital made the necessary arrangements to have him flown to another hospital in Honolulu.

- He was expected to "live a normal lifespan" after getting treatment there.

- Two weeks old, the baby flew to Honolulu with his mother and a nurse. Mom had the appropriate travel documents and the nurse was a naturalized U.S. citizen with a U.S. passport.

- The plan was for them all to head straight to the hospital once they had landed, which should have taken only between 10 and 15 minutes.

- U.S. Customs and Border Protection guys took the group and locked them up in a room instead.

- Mom, who spoke fluent English, tried to explain to Homeland Security officials that the baby needed to get medical treatment but they refused to let them go.

- The room was overheated and stuffy and the baby began developing breathing problems.

- Mom and nurse beat on the locked door, begging for assistance, while officials shouted back through the door for them to remain calm and to just relax.

- Paramedics were eventually called hours later to transport the infant to the hospital, in critical condition.

- Michael Tony Futi died later on that morning.
Don't you all feel so much safer now? Me, mostly just pissed off.

Comments

  1. That is the saddest thing I've ever heard. Makes a mother cry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just awful! Too sad for words. I really despise what this country has become.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I concur with all above comments. Pissed off? Tom Ridge as MCain VP---PISSED OFF. Will FEMA be his spirtiual advisor?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since when does a liberal give a crap about a baby?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Todd, I obviously do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Todd, Republicans only care about the fetus when it's inside the womb. You know they have mommy issues and like to try and control women. Once the baby is born and it's a functioning human being, they don't give a damn how and if it survives. Which is why they are against programs like Medicaid and Wic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And it was the conservative administration's policy what killed this one, so yeah. That was kind of a loaded question.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia outlaws microchip implants: "Just imagine having a beeper in your rectum and your beeper numbers displayed on billboards throughout the city."

Well, that bill passed, the one from Georgia "so as to prohibit requiring a person to be implanted with a microchip," Senate Bill 235 . At least it made its way through the House Judiciary Committee, anyway, next stop the House Rules Committee that decides whether it moves on to the full House vote and (fingers crossed) final passage. I'd think it probably should, taking into account the compelling testimony brought up at this last hearing, from some fat lady about why non-consensual chipping should be made against the law. There she described in detail her own personal experience, with being implanted against her druthers: "I'm also one of the people in Georgia who has a microchip," she began. ("Also one?" There's more of them there?) She went on about the specific disadvantages, how it violates one's "right to work without being tortured by co-workers who are activating these microchips by using their cell phones and other electro

I Think

I think I'm bored blogging. I think I'm done with it. I think what's the point? I think you should check out my blogroll instead. I think they say stuff better anyway.

Hung on the Cross

So what, I'm not very mature for my age. I don't care, I'm easily amused because of it, and I enjoy being amused. Like this picture of a crucifix which was hoisted a couple of months ago above the main altar at the St. Charles Borromeo Catholic church in Oklahoma: I can come up with lots of hilariously inappropriate captions here, some that even I am embarrassed to admit thinking up, despite my unabashed crudity. I would share but probably everyone else is too sophisticated to see the humor. Plus, I really don't want to go to Hell. I'm guessing that there are an awful lot of Okie parishioners down there at the church where this is hung for real, who I reckon wouldn't appreciate my sense of humor about it, either. They are, in general, hugely offended by it instead, because they see nothing funny whatsoever about displaying Jesus' ginormous penis in church, not in the least bit! Seems as though this has caused quite a "deep divide" among members o