Skip to main content

Barack In Da Hood, Michelle Rocks The Rockies

Hey, Barack Obama is right now just down the road from me, within walking distance even! Silly that for whatever reason this makes me feel all sunny side up, I know, but it does.

Yeah, that family he had dinner with tonight and the home from where he watched Michelle's most excellent speech, then beaming in live to Denver afterwards is only a few blocks from my house.

I mean, I knew he was here in Kansas City today, just didn't realize he was actually hanging out in my very own neighborhood.

Why does this sort of thing make me all gaga anyway? He's down the street ... so what? I'm such a loser, or maybe I should really just get a life. I might should probably check into doing that sometime.

Obviously, it's not like he's going to swing by my house to chill for awhile on his way back to the hotel or anything. Although that would be coolness. I'll switch on the porch light just in case, but I digress.

So tonight was the first of the Democratic National Convention. Quite a yawning start, but things did at least pick up after awhile and ultimately ended on a high note after all, a really high one, I think.

Nancy Pelosi spoke early on. Yikes! I find her to be nearly as creepy as Cindy McCain, to be honest. Animatronics is clearly a bipartisan technology. I should like her, I know, but I frankly cannot. She frightens me somehow, all bug-eyed and plastic.

Ted Kennedy was over the top fantastic, and his fortitude despite the brain cancer and chemo to still travel to Denver to make that speech was more than just a wee bit inspiring, to say the least. And such a strong, passionate speech it was. Who would have known (except that we all do) the cancer and stuff? Constantly blinking back tears here while watching, but that's not such a surprise.

Lastly then Michelle Obama, the grand finale. Holy crap, could she have possibly pulled off any better performance? Hell, I'd practically vote her in as president even, after that above and beyond superb declamation she delivered tonight! She was absolutely incredible.

Comments

  1. I understand Doug. Last week I think it was, as I passed the TV I heard "And Barrack, here in the Bay Area today." I must admit, I got a tingle, stopped and was like, "HE IS?!" Stood there for a bit thinking, "He's here? Ooooo."

    I turned on the tv last night just as Ted was getting his applause and cheers. Watch and love the entire Obama family. That little one? Was the cutest? It was as if she was in the living room..."Daddy? And daddy? Daddy?" ha...sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think part of Barack's charm is that you can easily imagine him in the living room with his own family and the girls, and also being comfortable and feeling at home with some other random family just down the street from me even. I love the guy's lack of pretentiousness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that was something. Obama is a nice man and I think he would be a good president.

    I'm in bed by eight so I haven't been following the convention much, but I did see some of Kuncinich's speech. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kucinich was from the beginning my personal first picked munchkin, absolutely. Maybe someday little white guys might have a chance at the presidency, too, like women and black guys, but at least even for what it's worth they can take the stage and deliver such a fantastic speech as he did tonight! Although it really got no media coverage that I found, I had to be watching online to catch it, got sick and tired of Chris Matthews and Wolf Blitzer and their analysts talking over what was going on. The speech was great, I love Dennis Kucinich.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia outlaws microchip implants: "Just imagine having a beeper in your rectum and your beeper numbers displayed on billboards throughout the city."

Well, that bill passed, the one from Georgia "so as to prohibit requiring a person to be implanted with a microchip," Senate Bill 235 . At least it made its way through the House Judiciary Committee, anyway, next stop the House Rules Committee that decides whether it moves on to the full House vote and (fingers crossed) final passage. I'd think it probably should, taking into account the compelling testimony brought up at this last hearing, from some fat lady about why non-consensual chipping should be made against the law. There she described in detail her own personal experience, with being implanted against her druthers: "I'm also one of the people in Georgia who has a microchip," she began. ("Also one?" There's more of them there?) She went on about the specific disadvantages, how it violates one's "right to work without being tortured by co-workers who are activating these microchips by using their cell phones and other electro

I Think

I think I'm bored blogging. I think I'm done with it. I think what's the point? I think you should check out my blogroll instead. I think they say stuff better anyway.

Hung on the Cross

So what, I'm not very mature for my age. I don't care, I'm easily amused because of it, and I enjoy being amused. Like this picture of a crucifix which was hoisted a couple of months ago above the main altar at the St. Charles Borromeo Catholic church in Oklahoma: I can come up with lots of hilariously inappropriate captions here, some that even I am embarrassed to admit thinking up, despite my unabashed crudity. I would share but probably everyone else is too sophisticated to see the humor. Plus, I really don't want to go to Hell. I'm guessing that there are an awful lot of Okie parishioners down there at the church where this is hung for real, who I reckon wouldn't appreciate my sense of humor about it, either. They are, in general, hugely offended by it instead, because they see nothing funny whatsoever about displaying Jesus' ginormous penis in church, not in the least bit! Seems as though this has caused quite a "deep divide" among members o