Skip to main content

Vile Me

I do like dirty songs, I do. I don't like censorship, though, I don't. So it really pisses me off on two levels about that, when first of all some of the same songs that I personally enjoy get airplay on the radio, many of them unquestionably inappropriate. I know that, but to believe that all of those kids and anyone else tuned in don't figure out how to fill in the censored bleeps? Please, give me a break.

But the other thing that pisses me off more so is when rather than that, because a song is so totally non-airwave friendly and bleeping is not quite sufficient enough, the artists actually do a second completely different "clean" version to cover up the original bad!

I don't know why that annoys me so much, but what the hell is up with that? You write it, you sing it, you own it, no compromises however publicly unacceptable the end result. You don't wuss out and water down whatever just to make a buck and some change to properly satisfy the people's ethicality. I don't know.

Maybe it's because I have no problem with profanity, but I do prefer originals to knockoffs. Or maybe it's because I'm a songwriter and can't imagine having to replay, conceding to others' rules. Although I personally have never written anything objectionable, for the record. Mostly just love songs or religious ones really, but if I ever did, I'd never expect or desire its public exposure. And I'd definitely not consider switching things up just to make it more palatable.

Like Buckcherry sold out to placate the masses, and I find that disappointing. The thing is, their Too Drunk to What version is a big hit on the charts, and again, like anyone listening doesn't know the coverup. Annoys me. Too Drunk to Fuck, that's the real deal.

Sure, as written can not nor should it be played on the radio. But still, why change it for commercial profit? Seems to me if you're going to write to appease, do it right the first time. If not and you want to own whatever your work, however profane, never sell out.

I can't listen to the radio edit of this. I do like the original below, though, parental advisory dutifully noted. One of those songs that should not probably have ever been played on the radio, even the cleaned up version. But of course, if not for that I'd never have known of it in the first place. Like I confessed, I do like the dirty so ... I'm torn, I suppose. I never claimed making much sense.

Also, sorry to disappoint, but the lyrics laid out in this song are pretty much me. Except swapping out girls for guys. And the part about too drunk to fuck, that only happened once. I usually perform just fine under the influence, where I am most of the time.

Don't watch if you don't want to know. Anyway, at least this is the real thing and not that diluted crap version from the radio. Uncensored here and naughty, too ... that's the way I like it.

Buckcherry - Too Drunk

Comments

  1. I didn't even know there WAS a censored version?!? That's not very Buckcherry. I love how Josh mugs at the camera and gets so happy when he finally says it. He looks so glam in this video.

    I read that he's been sober for like 13 years, but still writes about how it was, back in the day.
    I saw him in concert about 8 years ago and he didn't seem sober; he seemed amped, but he looks healthier now.

    I really like his voice in Sorry and that's also the video I think he looks his hottest. I kinda crush on him a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kinda have a crush on him, too. I really can't stand the radio version of this song, THIS video is the way it was written and meant to be sung. Sang. Singed. Whatever, I'm too drunk to know what's right. :-) I doubt he's sobered up, but who am I to judge anyway? I do like all things Buckcherry, though. And wish they'd keep it all dirty. Sorry, though, is such a beatiful song to me, and I can totally relate ... thanks for bringing me down, Ms. Erika.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I HATE when songs are censored, any art period. I want to hear the real deal. We are so screwed up here, in homes people cuss all the time, most, many. My older generation family, like aunt Vi's gang, all cussed. Who are we sparing? Buckcherry, no crush here, but I'm more into poony. (?) Good thing I learned that word today or I might have named my puppy that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK you, Diane. That's my point. Art is what it is, however expressed. If you don't approve, don't look at it, don't watch it, don't listen to it, whatever. I think just that an artist should not compromise to others' standards for a buck. I hate the selling out. Poony, LOL ... that would probably be a fine name for your puppy, really. I like it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia outlaws microchip implants: "Just imagine having a beeper in your rectum and your beeper numbers displayed on billboards throughout the city."

Well, that bill passed, the one from Georgia "so as to prohibit requiring a person to be implanted with a microchip," Senate Bill 235 . At least it made its way through the House Judiciary Committee, anyway, next stop the House Rules Committee that decides whether it moves on to the full House vote and (fingers crossed) final passage. I'd think it probably should, taking into account the compelling testimony brought up at this last hearing, from some fat lady about why non-consensual chipping should be made against the law. There she described in detail her own personal experience, with being implanted against her druthers: "I'm also one of the people in Georgia who has a microchip," she began. ("Also one?" There's more of them there?) She went on about the specific disadvantages, how it violates one's "right to work without being tortured by co-workers who are activating these microchips by using their cell phones and other electro

I Think

I think I'm bored blogging. I think I'm done with it. I think what's the point? I think you should check out my blogroll instead. I think they say stuff better anyway.

Hung on the Cross

So what, I'm not very mature for my age. I don't care, I'm easily amused because of it, and I enjoy being amused. Like this picture of a crucifix which was hoisted a couple of months ago above the main altar at the St. Charles Borromeo Catholic church in Oklahoma: I can come up with lots of hilariously inappropriate captions here, some that even I am embarrassed to admit thinking up, despite my unabashed crudity. I would share but probably everyone else is too sophisticated to see the humor. Plus, I really don't want to go to Hell. I'm guessing that there are an awful lot of Okie parishioners down there at the church where this is hung for real, who I reckon wouldn't appreciate my sense of humor about it, either. They are, in general, hugely offended by it instead, because they see nothing funny whatsoever about displaying Jesus' ginormous penis in church, not in the least bit! Seems as though this has caused quite a "deep divide" among members o