Skip to main content

Robert Gates on DADT, Par for the Course

"Cautiously optimistic, again to wait and see" is how I wrapped up my post the other day, referring to whether or not President Obama would step up making good his promise to push repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell. Later than we had expected from him, maybe, but better overdue than never.

So let the games begin. Kicking it off today, the hearing out of the military's top defense officials about their take on getting rid of it, and what the Pentagon would need to do if and when that happened. I reckon that's a start, but I have a gripe about how things got going and how I expect things will turn out going forward.

Robert Gates said that just laying the groundwork for a repeal of the policy will take most of a year. That's how long is apparently will take to prepare the military, and to get their thoughts and opinions about it before doing anything else. He said he will put together a "high-level working group" to immediately get started on that.

He has also directed them to "quickly review the regulations used to implement" the law as it is now, and within 45 days to start enforcing it more fairly until it can eventually be gotten rid of altogether.

A stopgap measure, meaning that if you haven't been asked, and you haven't told, then you need not worry about your regimented ass being ousted if it so happens that anyone else should open the closet door, someone who might be holding a grudge, say maybe a jilted somebody; you never know.

A year it takes just to get things set in motion; that seems like an awfully long time for a first step. But what do I know about why ostensibly everything takes so long getting done out there? I'll only have to accept Gates' estimation that a year is a reasonable time frame, I suppose.

But shouldn't we already be mid-stride of that first step anyway? Actually, past midway and closing ground, really, since it was last July when he said he was planning then to take action doing the exact same thing, that he said at today's hearing he intends to start doing now.

At least something happened today, I guess. It looks to me, though, that what was already a long row to hoe very likely could be longer than expected. So I end again with the same sign-off as before, staying cautiously optimistic, again to wait and see; with more emphasis on the waiting part than I had at first counted on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia outlaws microchip implants: "Just imagine having a beeper in your rectum and your beeper numbers displayed on billboards throughout the city."

Well, that bill passed, the one from Georgia "so as to prohibit requiring a person to be implanted with a microchip," Senate Bill 235 . At least it made its way through the House Judiciary Committee, anyway, next stop the House Rules Committee that decides whether it moves on to the full House vote and (fingers crossed) final passage. I'd think it probably should, taking into account the compelling testimony brought up at this last hearing, from some fat lady about why non-consensual chipping should be made against the law. There she described in detail her own personal experience, with being implanted against her druthers: "I'm also one of the people in Georgia who has a microchip," she began. ("Also one?" There's more of them there?) She went on about the specific disadvantages, how it violates one's "right to work without being tortured by co-workers who are activating these microchips by using their cell phones and other electro

I Think

I think I'm bored blogging. I think I'm done with it. I think what's the point? I think you should check out my blogroll instead. I think they say stuff better anyway.

Hung on the Cross

So what, I'm not very mature for my age. I don't care, I'm easily amused because of it, and I enjoy being amused. Like this picture of a crucifix which was hoisted a couple of months ago above the main altar at the St. Charles Borromeo Catholic church in Oklahoma: I can come up with lots of hilariously inappropriate captions here, some that even I am embarrassed to admit thinking up, despite my unabashed crudity. I would share but probably everyone else is too sophisticated to see the humor. Plus, I really don't want to go to Hell. I'm guessing that there are an awful lot of Okie parishioners down there at the church where this is hung for real, who I reckon wouldn't appreciate my sense of humor about it, either. They are, in general, hugely offended by it instead, because they see nothing funny whatsoever about displaying Jesus' ginormous penis in church, not in the least bit! Seems as though this has caused quite a "deep divide" among members o